Chewy is looking for an Associate Director Software Engineering to join our autoship platform team in Boston, MA. This is a high-profile position that will have exposure across the entire subscription business, influencing the vision and implementation of architecture, design and features for the autoship platform. As the AD of Software Engineering, you will act as a technical contributor while leading a team of strong engineers building Chewy’s next autoship platform.
Our team’s mission is to be the backbone for Chewy’s subscription business across pet food, vet, & pharmacy product lines by designing, and developing reliable and consistent system helping drive long-term customer trust, business growth, and profitability. This role will give you the chance to use your deep technical expertise to accelerate the adoption of the very best engineering practices, while maintaining knowledge on industry innovations, trends, and practices. You will help drive innovation, scalability, light-weight integrations, and maintainability while collaborating with our internal engineering/IT teams.
What You'll Do:
- Manage and lead multiple scrum teams with 10+ experienced engineers responsible for building Chewy’s next generation autoship platform
- Partner with our recruiting team to continue to build your team and mentor the growth of the existing team
- Drive technical decisions and be accountable for the delivery of solutions on initiatives they own
- Contribute to road map definition in collaboration with technical and product leadership
- Review code and implementations, provide feedback for technical contributors
- Must be able to identify and manage priorities within the context of overall autoship business objectives based on data driven decision making
- Develop System / Component prototypes (front & back end both) and APIs (Interact with the full application stack) for a rapidly scaling platform for vendor management, while ensuring successful product delivery and operational excellence
- Design, develop and implement large-scale distributed systems prototypes with large volumes of data, focusing on scalability, latency, and resiliency
- Experience in using DevOps principles and techniques to delivery high quality software prototypes with the least technical debt possible
What You'll Need:
- Completed Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or related field, or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience in Software Development as a software engineer
- 5+ years of experience in Engineering Management
- Technical savvy, including hands-on knowledge/skill of system integration, database, and business intelligence
- Experience in communicating software product features, technical designs & product strategy with users, other technical teams, and senior management
- Working experience with distributed SCM (GitHub a plus), DevOps, AWS
- Project experience using Java, AWS, React, Angular, Vue.JS or similar frameworks and/or libraries
- Agile experience leading Scrum teams desired.
- Ability to perform business requirements analysis and design with strong prioritization skills to identify minimal viable/lovable products.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong analytical skills, and ability to deal with ambiguity in a rapidly evolving business environment
- Capability to identify and mitigate development and implementation risks
- Position may require travel
- Understanding of testing automation, including the building of scrappy coding/automation for testing code faster
- Experience in Retail, E-Commerce or Technology Industry, subscription Management focus a plus
- Strong engineering background building Products/prototypes related to retail – ecommerce
- Experience in Software Quality Processes and Atlassian Tools (Confluence, JIRA, etc.)
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact [email protected]