API Solution Engineer at MassMutual
API Solutions Engineer/Architect
At MassMutual, we’re passionate about helping millions of people find financial freedom and this passion has driven our approach to developing highly interactive digital experiences for our customers.
The Data Integrations/ API Delivery Team is comprised of talented and diverse individuals who build integrations and APIs that are backbone of multiple enterprise functions. To help us achieve our mission, we are hiring a Solutions Engineer who can partner with the Delivery Team and Enterprise Architecture at the same time, ability to function as an Engineer as well as a solutions architect.
What great looks like in this role
Our ideal candidate is team-oriented, possesses excellent leadership competencies, and is skilled in all levels of API and integrations architecture and software engineering. This candidate will work with all levels of the organization (Enterprise Architecture Group as well as API developers) to develop and define API Delivery design and standard/best practices. Should have software engineering background and be able to design and develop proof of concepts to implement ideas. Should also be able to perform hands on assessments and influence delivery teams on following software engineering excellence standards.
This candidate will also be team-oriented and take a collaborative approach to working with others. With a flat leadership structure, the opportunity for flexibility within role and provides exposure to architect solutions with impact across the enterprise
- API Solution design and engineering
- Engaging with customers to understand API requirements - design scalable, secure, and extensible APIs that power timely and relevant data access
- Create design templates, tools and accelerators for API development & influence developers on use of it.
- Architectural responsibility for choosing correct contemporary microservice architectural patterns for solving business problem.
- Keep the Non-functional requirements like Security; Performance; Deployments; Scaling; Authentication and Authorization etc. while planning the technical design.
- Accountable for Architecture Snapshot, Application Design, prototyping and proving the concept, design and code reviews, non-functional requirements support
- Drive modern technical solutions utilizing our current technology stack such as Node JS, Microservice, Rest API design and development (JSON), integrations using Kafka
- Work collaboratively across the multiple teams to recommend solutions, resolve delivery challenges and resolve technical issues
- Actively participant in technology evaluations, technical designs and reviews
- API Strategy (Futuristic view)
- Stay apprised of new and emerging technologies and provide technical strategy, direction and offer creative solutions
- Partner with Enterprise Architect to define technical strategies, architecture, tools, technology and processes
- Learn new tools/technologies if required
Critical Thinking & Problem Solving
- Setup right examples by involving in difficult technical issues and solving them using tools in hand.
- Setting right coding standards and review cultures in the teams by leading from front
- Attitude to mentor junior team member and setup right team cultures.
Skills & Competencies
- Microservice, API design and development, REST, JSON
- Knowhow of modern inter service communication like REST; Message Queue
- Working experience in the API Gateway/Apigee or Kong.
- Hands on experience on functional decomposition of domain to define APIs equivalent to CRUD operations.
- Exposure on setting correct Authentication and Authorization scheme for API level security using OAuth ; OpenID connect or JWT.
- Exposure on Data migration based on versioning using automation tools like Flyway.
- Exposure on setting up the initial microservice scaffolding for the team using Spring boot.
- Microservices framework(i.e. Spring Boot, node); Cloud solutions(i.e AWS, Google cloud);
- Good exposure on DevOps tools front CI/ CD; IAAS; Cloud Services.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to create and present concepts and recommendations to management.
- Experience with both event-driven and native cloud architecture (including Kafka)
- Knowledge of architecture and application design patterns
- High-level communication skills to influence and persuade others.
- Big picture strategic thinking; Thrive on innovation and think outside the box
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to work in a rapid and iterative development environment
- Ability to work independently with globally distributed teams
- Minimum 5+ years of software development experience in enterprise environment; broad-based IT experience successfully implementing complex IT applications and / or developing efficient effective solutions to diverse and complex business problems.
- 3+ years of hands-on development experience with APIs
- Experience with commercial API management platforms (preferred)
- Experience with one or more programming languages for API development
- Experience with all stages of the API lifecycle
- Fundamental understanding of software development lifecycle including Agile
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or related field, and 6-8 years architecture and development experience in integrations/API space