Love dogs? Have an eye for design? This is the place for you!
At Embark, we help people discover their dog more than fur deep with the most comprehensive DNA test on the market. Designed by world leaders in dog genetics, in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark Dog DNA Test tells owners what breeds make up their pets, how to prevent future possible health problems, and what features and traits their pet might have. Join our team and help us improve the lives of dogs and their owners through genomics.
Embark is the only dog DNA test using a research-grade DNA microarray, letting us give our customers the most accurate and comprehensive results on the market. More importantly, it allows us to do ongoing research into the genetics of dogs, which are a fantastic population for genetic discovery due to selective breeding over time. Our research focuses on mapping new traits and diseases, improving personalized veterinary medicine, and developing new breeding programs to eliminate preventable diseases in pets.
Sound great? We’re looking for highly motivated and driven designers who will help us stay on the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
Are you ready to inspire countless dog owners to give their dogs the best possible care? We’re looking for an incredible Visual Designer to join our small but mighty Creative team to help with our production design needs. This role will report to the Creative Director and deliver compelling designs that are digitally-focused concepts and experiences. We’re looking for someone with a strong background in visual and interaction design, with a keen eye toward typography, composition, and color.
The Opportunity (The day-to-day)
- Implement branding and visual direction across a range of digital experiences
- Develop strong stories to present and communicate thought process to stakeholders
- Help foster an environment of collaboration by closely partnering with stakeholders to crush project goals
- Participate in weekly design reviews
- Pull design samples to show current inspiration
- Exhibit a willingness and curiosity to learn new tools on the fly to deliver against tight deadlines
- Create prototypes and testing artifacts in support of research and audience validation efforts, to determine the success of design approaches
- Demonstrate independence and seniority in practice in being able to effectively drive the design roadmap
- Drive best practices in digital and print design
- Be a champion of our customers and their needs
- A portfolio that demonstrates successful design across a wide array of media
- 3-5+ years of required experience in visual design, UI design, graphic design, interaction design, or related field
- Mastery of industry-standard design tools, e.g. Sketch, Adobe CC Suite, Invision, et al.
- Knowledge of UI design principles and best practices, and how to apply across platforms
- Advanced understanding of visual design systems, hierarchy, typography, illustration, photography, and composition
- Experience working with brand level design systems and pattern libraries
- Fluency in creating visual content for mobile, responsive design
- Experience in, familiarity with working in agile, or iterative design and delivery environments
- Familiarity with user-centered research, such as usability testing, contextual inquiry, and field interviews
What We Offer
- Dog-friendly office near South Station, Boston
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized dog-walking services and paw-ternity leave
- Startup perks with big-company benefits
- Competitive salaries, all-inclusive health care, and equity participation
- A flexible vacation policy along with paid maternal and paternal leave
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education including attending conferences
Embark is an equal opportunity workplace and values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. See also EEO is the Law.