UX Researcher at Toast
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
We’re looking for a collaborative UX Researcher with experience bringing insights to the entire product development lifecycle, helping teams balance user goals and business objectives, and delivering intuitive experiences that “Do right by the customer.” We seek a teammate dedicated to restaurant employees and employee management. You will work on products to improve the lives of restaurant employees, as well as the tools and processes restaurants use to hire, retain, and lead their teams. Demonstrated skills include uncovering and refining learning objectives, matching methods to research questions, planning and conducting research using various methods, synthesizing data to serve up actionable insights, and acting as a center of learning on your team. Your collaborative style inspires others to the point where people ask to work with you and your rigor and attention to detail lend credibility to your insights.
You should have experience working directly with UX Designers, Product Managers and Engineers to plan and conduct research in support of concept iteration and product improvement. As a Toast UX Researcher, you’ll join a diverse, multidisciplinary team of problem solvers creating with purpose; enable restaurants with the tools they need to do what they love and thrive.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Collaborate with Product teams (Product Managers, UX Designers & Engineers) to identify learning opportunities and conduct research throughout the product lifecycle - from conception to release
- Create research plans that align methods and scope with business needs and technical constraints; craft materials for research activities such as moderator’s guides, surveys, and workshop templates
- Conduct research sessions and synthesize findings, bringing your Product team along throughout the process and sharing findings in the ways that will have the most impact for your team
- Regularly share your work with the Research team to gather feedback, iterating on the deliverables to improve results; keep the wider UX & Product team informed about what you learn as it pertains to their work
- Collaborate with the Research team to establish and promote consistent, rigorous research practices and standards; model and advocate for those standards on your Product team
- Demonstrate proactivity with capacity to handle high work volume and balance multiple projects at once
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Demonstrated ability to use research insights to increase confidence in product decisions
- Comfortable interviewing stakeholders to identify & refine learning objectives
- Comfortable recommending multi-method approaches depending on the learning objective
- Experience with unmoderated testing tools (ex., UserTesting) & survey tools (ex., Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey)
- Experience conducting research in a B2B or B2B2C environment and/or on internal or employee-facing systems
- Expert on at least one UX research method (ex., usability testing, PURE, contextual inquiry, concept testing)
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
- Multilingual, to the point where you are comfortable conducting research in a language other than English