edX, a Cambridge-based non-profit backed by MIT and Harvard, is dedicated to increasing access to high-quality online education to everyone, everywhere. The culture at edX is mission-driven, casual and collaborative.
The User Interface (UI) Designer is a member of the Experience team. Its members are embedded into larger, cross-functional teams with product and engineering. This role will be instrumental in bringing the edX software platform to life. This involves aspects of internationalization, accessibility, and usability - we’re looking for someone interested in the challenge of building great experiences at scale. Our agile workflow, collaborative, and embedded structure allows us to have a lot of influence and shape decisions about what to create for learners and educators.
- Articulate your design choices and ground them in fundamental design principles, best practices, usability heuristics
- Define and work within visual themes based on your excellent understanding of grids, typography, color, and design principles
- Partner with UX to identify and solve edX learners’ and educators’ problems
- Document your thinking using thoughtfully chosen and informed deliverables and artifacts like: sketches, wireframes, prototypes, site maps/flows, personas, and design comps
- Influence beyond the role to evangelize the value of design in teams and the organization
- Happy to talk through your thinking, your processes, and to show us your work
- Deliver UI for Product Development and Comms/Marketing across an Agile environment
- Have at least 2-6 years professional experience and ~ 2-4 years in UI Design roles
- Understand established interactive technologies and possess an undying thirst to learn about new ones
- Ability to collaborate in a cross-functional team with peers in product and engineering
- Care about creating accessible experiences - our products are WCAG 2.0 AA compliant!
- Well-developed business acumen - you ask good questions, engage in critical thinking, and understand how to balance business needs and user needs in a practical and effective way
- Use a variety of tools and techniques as appropriate for your team’s needs
- Experience using tools such as Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, and the like
- Adept at executing all visual design stages from concept to final hand-off to our friends in Engineering