Senior Designer at CarGurus (Cambridge, MA)
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
This is a particularly exciting to time to join the creative team! As we evolve our business into the online transaction space, we're evolving our brand with the business. Come be part of the team that helps us bring our new identity to life, with significant media investments behind our new campaigns.
About the role:
We’re seeking a Senior Designer who is dedicated to the craft, devoted to their team, and dutifully driven to deliver outstanding work. To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have a strong design background and sincere desire to roll up your sleeves, solve complex problems, and be hands on. You should be comfortable guiding multiple stakeholders and working with different types of creative professionals and creative outputs. Because the work is eclectic, fast-paced, and high visibility, you must have excellent planning, communication, and collaboration skills. You’ll report to the Creative Director and CMO, while also working alongside copywriters, product managers, UX designers, engineers, and other members of the marketing team.
What we’re looking for:
• Ability to develop and execute ideas that blend product design and brand storytelling.
• Ability to bring ideas to life with high quality comps using industry-standard software (Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Sketch, etc.)
• Ability to clearly, concisely explain innovative ideas on design and art direction ideas to stakeholders.
• Experience creating original, breakthrough work that satisfies multiple stakeholders and business objectives.
• Experience working iteratively, leading design and art direction, and addressing feedback.
• 4+ years of experience at an agency or an in-house designing and art directing projects from idea to execution.
• An online portfolio demonstrating a mastery of art direction, design, and conceptual thinking.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Excellent presentation skills.
• Ability to think strategically and creatively.
• Comfort with animation and basic motion design for digital channels.
• Exquisite attention to detail supported by strong design sensibilities.
• Brand identity exploration and implementation experience.
• An ambitious spirit that wants to create award-winning work but understands it needs to solve a business problem.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
We recognize that flexibility plays a critical role in enabling our people to thrive in both their personal and professional lives. We currently welcome Gurus into our Cambridge, MA office on a voluntary basis but do not require employees to physically be in the office. We will adopt a hybrid working model when health experts and government officials in our local communities deem it safe to do so. Specific arrangements within this model will be up to team leaders’ discretion; we encourage you to discuss your questions and needs during the interview process.
All US CarGurus employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. This helps us to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large.