Hometap has an ambitious mission to make homeownership less stressful and more accessible. Our vision is to make the idea of bringing on an investor for your home as ubiquitous as borrowing to finance a home is today. We also aspire to build a long lasting durable financial-technology company that becomes a hallmark of the Boston economy.
We are passionately building a business and industry that is homeowner-centric and empowers current and prospective homeowners to access their home's equity, free of debt. Our first product allows a homeowner to tap into the built-in value of their home in order to do the big-ticket stuff that makes life better: start a business, renovate their home, get out from under crippling debt, pay for college tuition or help family members in times of need.
Today, Hometap makes investments in residential homes, buying a small equity stake against the home’s future value. For homeowners, this is a simplified, sensible alternative to mortgage debt and monthly payments. For investors, this is a new asset class, allowing them to participate in the multi-trillion-dollar residential real estate market without the obligations and downsides of homeownership. This product is scaling rapidly and we have begun our plans to expand our platform to support numerous other products over time, complex data science-driven pricing, and investment structure permutations. Our solution leverages advanced data and analytics as we create best-in-class experiences for our homeowners, business and asset capital partners.
Who You Are
You are an energetic, empathetic and highly motivated product designer who loves to create compelling digital experiences for a variety of user types. You have a clear understanding of design principles as they relate to digital product design, and you know how to execute on them. You can effectively communicate your design intentions to your collaborators and stakeholders. You have experience creating user interfaces for desktop, web, and mobile and you have a strong portfolio to prove it.
What You’ll Do
At Hometap you will be involved in product development, creating user interfaces and experiences that span user facing and internal software. You will dive into the needs of a diverse set of users, and will turn their requirements into compelling new features, crafting insightful products that handle complexity in an elegant way. You will work with the product team to analyze and synthesize business stakeholder and user feedback to drive new feature insights, and with the engineering team to bring the designs to life. In your role, you’ll report to the Head of Design.
In this role, you will:
- Design and specify user interfaces and information architecture using participatory and iterative design techniques, including observational studies, customer interviews, usability testing, and other forms of requirements discovery
- Produce wireframes, high fidelity mock-ups, design prototypes
- Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale both verbally and visually
- Work closely with development teams to ensure that design specifications are implemented
- Work cross-functionally with Product and Marketing to use design to facilitate business objectives
What You Bring:
- 5+ years in digital and traditional design, particularly with, but not limited to web, graphic design, social and emerging technologies
- The ability to storyboard, build wireframes/prototypes, and translate ideas to others, influencing external and internal stakeholders
- A strong portfolio with demonstrated experience designing modern, compelling, highly adopted software applications and design systems known for excellence in design
- Proficiency in a variety of design tools including Figma and InVision
- Strong customer empathy
- Strong knowledge of product design and build process
- Strong influencing, negotiation and communication skills (written, verbal, presentation)
- Must be organised, analytical, and dynamic
- Bachelor degree in a design-related discipline
- A passion for design and people
- Experience balancing quantitative and qualitative user feedback
- Can take and give constructive criticism, and work in an environment where the best ideas win
- Ready to work on projects with a cross-functional team
- In-house experience at a company offering services or products to consumers.
- A solid understanding of CSS and HTML.
Our Team & Culture
At Hometap, we pride ourselves on being Owners -- of our jobs, our output, our careers -- and Good Neighbors -- we believe helping each other means helping the company, homeowners, and investors succeed.
Equally important to your skill set is what you bring to our team and business. We are looking for a creative thinker who looks for opportunities within challenges, rolls up their sleeves to get things done, values collaboration and communication, and embraces the Homeowner-first mentality. Critical to our mission is being thoughtful in everything we build. If you’re someone who embraces this builder mentality, you’ll be right at home here.