Mobile Product/UI Designer
Hopper is the smart way to book travel on your phone. Combining massive amounts of data and advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper predicts and analyzes airfare and accommodation to save users money and enable them to travel more often.
Since its launch in 2015, Hopper has become one of the fastest growing travel apps ever with over 30 million installs to date. It is now the most downloaded flights booking app in North America and travelers have booked hundreds of millions of dollars in flights and hotels around the world using Hopper.
The app has received accolades such as Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company in Travel 2018, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016, and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Your role as a Mobile Product/UI Designer will be to design features for Hopper’s mobile apps that are both useful & delightful. You'll become an early and foundational member of a young, but high-impact, product design team whose shared goal is to design, build, evaluate and iterate its way to the most elegant product solutions. Whether you're designing a new way for travelers to shop for flights or creating an engaging onboarding flow, you'll work close with other Product Designers, Engineers, and Product Managers to find the boundaries of design problems, seeing them from multiple perspectives (user goals, company goals, design cohesion, ease of implementation, etc.) and advocating for the best balance of these many trade-offs.
In this role, you will:
- Produce high-quality interfaces, interactions, and prototypes with excellent attention to detail, quickly and effectively
- Take on new feature design and product ideas from early concepts to final implementation
- Solve product problems with a focus on the best user interface while balancing company goals, design cohesion, user experience, and ease of implementation
- Seek out, understand and incorporate qualitative and quantitative feedback throughout the design process
- Iterate quickly to get to a design that works (as evidenced by data)
- Be highly collaborative with Product Managers & other Designers to refine our core app experience and design new features
- Work with Engineers to establish requirements, manage implementation and ship features
- Prioritize appropriately: Use good judgement to make appropriate tradeoffs to speed up product learning and balance competing, and often changing, priorities
- Use good judgement about where to spend time and effort
A perfect candidate has:
- Portfolio / work samples we can review
- At least 2-4 years’ experience designing user interfaces, including mobile platforms
- Competence and understanding of design and development processes
- Solid understanding of the fundamentals in both visual and interactive design
- Passion for being involved in the big picture, while fearlessly diving into the details
- Adaptable attitude; comfortable with a fast-paced, agile development process
- Sound judgement; makes product decisions based on best available qualitative and quantitative user feedback
- No ego when it comes to product or design; the focus is always on getting quickly to the right answer and doing what is right for the customer and the company
- Interest and experience in the travel industry and startups is a plus, you should be comfortable working in a close-knit team and fast-paced environment
- The ability to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle uncertainty, ambiguity, and quickly evolving goals
Sound like a fit? We can’t wait to hear from you.
- Well-funded and proven startup with larger ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
- Access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, all on us
- In Cambridge, work in a historic factory building near Kendall Square; in Montreal, work in an artist’s loft in the Mile End
- Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or paid parking
- IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry
- Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and healthy snacks
- Team lunches, off-site activities and much more!