Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. xtraCHEF by Toast is a cloud-based restaurant management platform that provides automated financial and operational management solutions
We’re looking for a Lead UX Researcher dedicated to Back Office and Inventory Management capabilities that we serve up to our restaurant customers to power the health and growth of their business. This is a unique opportunity to inform and lead the strategy of integrating one platform into another seamlessly to achieve Toast’s mission of Better Together. You will work on products intended to deliver insights with appropriate context so restaurants can make confident decisions at every level of their business.
As a Toast UX Researcher, you’ll work in an embedded model where you’ll be the expert in the mental models restaurant decision-makers are using to run their businesses sustainably. You’ll join a diverse, multidisciplinary team of problem solvers creating with purpose; to enable restaurants with the tools they need to do what they love and thrive.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- You will collaborate with Product team leadership (Product, Design & Engineering) to identify areas of confidence & risk in the roadmap and craft a plan to address them
- You will scope, plan and conduct high-value UX research throughout the product development process, from generative to evaluative, crafting multi-method approaches to inform solutions to hairy problems, employing your quantitative and qualitative expertise as needed
- You will evangelize research insights & create a shared understanding of user needs (both restaurant & guest) across teams in your domain to drive user-centered strategy and decision-making
- You will exemplify great research practices for your cross-functional teams; delegate, mentor, coach and provide guidance to others as needed to level up everyones’ learning competencies
- You will collaborate with the Research team to establish and promote consistent, rigorous research practices and standards; model and advocate for those standards on your Product team and promote research excellence across the organization
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Demonstrated ability to use collaboration & influence to lead the research strategy for a product area and connect that to a broader product vision, including identifying & prioritizing research needs
- Demonstrated ability to use systems thinking to build out research infrastructure, defining cadences, processes and best practices
- Demonstrated ability to bring research insights “home,” using persuasion & communication to drive user-centered strategy & design
- Deep and broad research toolkit - experience with generative research, workshop facilitation, concept testing, unmoderated methods, evaluative research and measurement, with deep expertise in at least one method
- Experience with unmoderated testing tools (ex., UserTesting) & survey tools (ex., Qualtrics)
- Experience conducting research in B2B environments, ideally including high-complexity experiences combining data visualization & information architecture
Special Sauce* (Nonessential Skills/Nice to Haves)
- Your collaborative style inspires others to the point where people ask to work with you and your expertise and confidence have others seeking out your informed perspective.
- You’re passionate about maintaining a healthy work-life balance by scoping, setting expectations and maintaining your boundaries.
- You have a growth mindset - you see challenges as opportunities, believe feedback is a gift and can speak confidently about failures & what you learned from them.
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.