Your work as Appcues' lead product designer will empower thousands of Appcues customers to improve their products without writing any code. Your mission is to ensure our product has an exceptional user experience that helps our customers easily design, test, publish, and measure intuitive in-app guides, tips, announcements, and surveys. With the Appcues platform, product managers and marketers can add these experiences to their SaaS products to improve end-user activation, conversion, and adoption. Design is critical to us as a company because customers such as Toast, Wistia, Segment, and IBM depend on us to deliver a great user experience as a crucial part of their products.
About the role
- The product, engineering & design group currently has 18 people across three small teams. As the lead designer for the 9 people on the Experiences and Studio teams, you will design enhancements to our tools to build in-app experiences and for audience segmentation and reporting. On a typical day, you may craft mockups for a new feature, review a project brief, run user tests, and collaborate with engineers and product leaders to realize your vision.
- We are looking for someone to work remotely with the option, post-COVID, to visit our Boston office occasionally to collaborate if needed. The entire team is currently working remotely in the Boston area.
- You’ll collaborate with product managers, engineers, and with customers to translate product briefs describing customer problems into thoughtfully designed solutions. The team works using Slack, Zoom, Notion (our Wiki), Clubhouse (issue tracking), and Github.
- You will be involved in all stages of our discovery & development process, including user research, sketching, problem-solving, mockups, prototypes, and user testing.
- You'll own and drive enhancements to our approach to UX testing to validate that our solutions will meet the project's goals and UX objectives.
- You will drive improvements to our process and approach to design, including maturing our design system to improve usability, consistency, and efficiency.
- This position reports into the head of product and engineering.
- You feel comfortable being the sole designer on a team that will welcome additional members over time. Our current designer of several years recently decided to pursue a career in games design, which is why we are looking to fill this unique and critical role.
- You have at least six years of experience as a product or UX designer on web products with at least three years of experience with B2B SaaS.
- Your superpower is in interaction design, but you also have a passion for UX testing and the details of visual design.
- You are confident in efficiently executing different design processes, and have a balanced view of their pros and cons. You know how each stage in your process is essential to deliver a solution that achieves the desired outcomes.
- You are excited to share your work, listen, and consider constructive feedback. You respectfully and helpfully do the same for your peers. You would prefer to share multiple rough concepts than hold back for the perfect solution.
- You have the drive to improve anything you touch and enjoy working with others to make things better.
- You have experience working with design systems and preferably have actively contributed to them in the past.
- You are comfortable using or learning Figma, where our current designs and design system resides.
- You are practical and outcome-oriented in order to impact the user experience over both the short- and long-term.
- You can easily suggest improvements to your past work. You’re always improving.
- You are curious by default. You let that curiosity shine in your customer research and interviews, leading you to a deep understanding of our customer base.
At Appcues, our mission is to help teams build products their users love. With Appcues, you can create in-product experiences (user onboarding, feature announcements, checklists, and more) without writing any code. We believe it’s the non-technical people who often have the best information about a user’s needs and desires, and we give them the tools to act.
We’re a dynamic group of talented teammates who challenge, trust, and care about each other, the work we do, and the success story we are writing. Our values are not just words. We live by them.
Appcues is an equal opportunity employer that commits to diversity and inclusion and also celebrates it. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or marital status. We believe that diverse teams foster a more inclusive company culture, build better products, and are more human, humane, and fun.
Read Full Job Description