Director of Product Design
Toast’s mission is to empower the restaurant community to delight their guests, do what they love, and thrive. Toast is a powerful and easy to use all-in-one restaurant platform that helps the restaurants do what they love, which is to create delicious food, provide unrivaled service, and delight their guests in new and innovative ways. Along the way, we have helped our customers grow their business and thrive.
Toast has a rapidly growing customer base comprised of cafes, restaurants, bars & nightclubs. We are passionate about how to help our customers grow their business and how to provide a best in class user experience. We strive to bring the best designs and products to our users. The design team works hand in hand with the Product and Engineering teams to steer and guide the process of developing new and improved products from conception to launch.
As the Director of Product Design, you will be a critical part of the product leadership team and you will be spearheading initiatives that will interface with many other Toast teams across Product, Engineering, Marketing, Sales, Account Management and Customer Support to build and shape innovative products. You will also have the opportunity to interface with our restaurant customers and restaurant guests directly to get feedback on product enhancements, issues, and usability in order to inspire and inform how Toast continues to iterate and grow.
We are looking for a passionate and proven leader to grow, mentor, and inspire a team of product designers, user researchers, & visual designers. Someone who can motivate members of the team to make tough restaurant jobs feel seamless and elegant for tens of thousands of servers, managers, and chefs and to empower them to create delightful guest experiences.
- Oversee and provide thought leadership in all areas of UX (user journeys, IA, visual design, and usability) as well as branding
- Inspire a team (12+) of product designers and user researchers and manage their career growth and trajectory
- Communicate Toast’s product design vision to a wide variety of key stakeholders
- Define and integrate best practices and standards related to UX across Toast products including new interface guidelines and design patterns
- Collaborate with product and technology teams to create and develop new business opportunities through thoughtful UX and IA
- Articulate business case for design improvements and measure/quantify success
- Recruit, nurture and retain best-in-class talent
- Lead by example and at times working alongside the team in documenting designs, workflows, site architectures, interaction, user journeys, sitemaps, process/screen flows, and wireframes
- 7+ years of relevant work experience in product design, UX strategy, experience/interaction design, and visual design
- A track record of success (and enjoyment) in people leadership and in building and leading high performing user-centered design teams
- A strong passion for managing and mentoring designers
- Deep understanding of user-centered design methods and best practices
- Expert knowledge of design tools such as Sketch, Invision, and Adobe Creative Cloud
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative, agile environment, while also leading process improvement efforts
- BA/BS or MA/MS in design related field
- Knowledge of restaurant and hospitality industry
- Familiarity with front-end programming