Creative Director, Copy at Chewy
Chewy is looking for a Creative Director, Copy to join our Creative Services team in Dania Beach, FL. As a part of the Chewy Creative Studio, the Creative Director, Copy will be responsible for partnering with business units, channel leads and various creative leaders to conceptualize, develop and deliver holistic messaging across all Chewy channels. An evangelism for collaboration will be essential as this director will be working closely with agency partners and various internal partners to develop and evolve the Chewy narrative voice.
This is a leadership role for all Chewy messaging managing 10 in-house writers plus freelancers to consistently deliver high quality work in an accelerated environment. You will lead a diverse team of B2B and B2C writers and be responsible for transforming creative briefs into campaign strategies, consumer centric narratives, key messaging frameworks, and crisp conversion copy. The Creative Services department executes full funnel assets from awareness to acquisition across all media platforms for display ads, direct mail, email, site/app landing experiences, TV scripts and everything in-between.
In addition, you will oversee, direct and at times contribute to our Chewy Healthcare, B2B communications so you will need to confidently mentor and deliver against a wide breadth of writing styles. You have worked with creative brands, and have successfully led writing teams and deep collaboration with design counterparts. You have extensive experience supporting consumer brands from crisp retail messaging to foundational messaging frameworks across diverse touchpoints. You are able to simultaneously communicate a vision to your creative leadership design partners and direct reports with clarity and conviction. The ideal candidate will be collaborative, engaged, and have a passion for our industry while partnering with our creative leadership to align with our core brand vision. You are a natural diplomat, bridge builder and critical thinker with a love for storytelling, creative writing and team leadership. You must also be a thick-skinned, problem solver who is able to take constructive feedback in a productive manner and turn it into copy that wows.
What You'll Do:
- Lead the Studio Copy workflow with development, delivery and in some cases strategic thinking of all creative projects in partnership with stakeholders to create compelling, on-strategy marketing ideas and executions
- Manage and own creative output on assigned engagements across HC, Tentpole, Channel Marketing
- Exhibit proven ability to work collaboratively with peer Creative Leaders to execute Creative vision and strategy to create content at scale
- Seamlessly lead team to deliver storefront content and promotions, digital campaigns and multimedia projects to make sure they are accurate, entertaining and concise to always engage and connect with our consumers
- Partner with stakeholders to strengthen engagement strategies and creative briefs while successfully leading creative output for multiple business units.
- Be the authority in the Chewy Voice and able to navigate great work through any and all obstacles internally by leading, mentoring, and developing your Copy reports to be successful members of your team and Chewy
- Oversee projects from concept to completion and ensure quality is up to brand standards while maintaining and evolving brand copy guidelines that ladder up to the Chewy brand
- Lead and mentor a diverse team of 10 copywriters by mentoring, proofing and partnering on creative asks, consistently seeking to remove barriers and advocate for the team
What You'll Need:
- 8-10+ years of experience with an advertising/design agency or at a similar in-house agency
- Digital expertise and prowess. We’re an eComm company and nearly everything we do lives in this world. You’ll be expected to have expert knowledge and proven track record of developing the narrative across the customer journey to attract audiences, drive traffic and conversion
- Expertise in developing effective communications in performance marketing, channel marketing – email, social and blog, user experience and consumer journeys from various online touchpoints to site and beyond, navigating and applying consumer insights to hone high performing Chewy creative in the marketplace
- Proven expertise in testing models and approaches for determining high performing messaging and operating in a data driven environment
- Expert leadership skills to develop, teach, train and manage a team of copywriters in various locations from various backgrounds
- Expert knowledge of what makes a strong actionable brief
- Demonstrate ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, utilize resources, identify and meet deadlines
- Advanced interpersonal skills in a Creative environment; a team player, positive and innovative thinker who is beyond all else willing and eager to collaborate and bridge the gap between design and copy as well as other marketing and studio partners
- Highly motivated with drive and initiative; ability to work independently, in support of Marketing’s creative goals and Chewy’s business objectives
- Must be able to sell from banners to emails, to the Chewy way of life, knowing how to utilize our brand tools and assets to keep Chewy as the destination for all things pet is a must
- Expert level portfolio with multiple examples of how you lead creative from concept thru execution and how the business was positively impacted
- Position may require travel
About Chewy Studios
We are the ultimate one-stop shop for creative at chewy.com. We concept, design, and create original brands and packaging and online assets. We concept social campaigns, banners and lead the design for all internal and external marketing efforts. We also shoot and style all of our own photography, video and television commercials. If you saw it out in the wild and it had the Chewy logo on it, Chewy Studios was there – from start to finish. With positions ranging from entry-level script writing and production graphic design work to senior creative concepting, producing and photography, Chewy Studios does it all, in-house, with pride from 3 locations in Boston MA, Dallas TX, and the mothership in Dania Beach FL. If you love pets and crave working in an ultra-creative environment, give us a shout. We’re always interested in meeting new people – and their pets.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact HR at chewy dot com