Technical Lead, Data Science
DraftKings is a leading sports entertainment brand that creates the most exciting digital sports competitions and experiences on the planet. Our goal is to transform the way fans experience sports. Our mission is to make sports better – and make better sports fans – by bringing them closer to the games they love.
The Data Science group at DraftKings is an engineering team made up of members with skill sets across software development and math, dedicated to building product that solves some of the most analytically challenging problems here at DraftKings. The work we do encompasses: (1) Data mining - write code to uncover insights hidden in our vast repository of raw data, and provide tactical guidance on how to leverage findings (2) Algorithm design - develop quantitative models, leveraging machine learning and advanced data analysis techniques (3) Algorithm platform engineering - architect and build technical platforms for our algorithmic engines to run at scale.
As part of this role, you will be a creative thinker in how to solve problems, with a focus on utilizing software development skills to drive forward a strong technical platform that support a variety of data science products (e.g. recommendation systems, fraud detection engines, etc).
What you will do:
- Take ownership of engineering design, development, deployment, and operations of data science technical infrastructure (e.g. algorithm compute engines, production web services)
- Research and develop advanced models that uncover learnings from raw data, and integrate those algorithms into our platform
- Partner closely with business leads across the company to project plan and execute on valuable data science projects
What you will need to bring:
- Experience as “the expert” on a software development team – you were responsible for everything from planning to delivering key features and then watching how they do in production
- Expertise in a general programming language, such as Python, Java, C#, C++, etc
- Knowledge of quantitative methods, such as statistics, machine learning, general data analysis – notably writing code to navigate these topic areas nimbly in a technical environment
- Intuitive sense of how technical/quantitative work aligns closely with business priorities and business value
- Ability to effectively work with business leads: strong communication skills, ability to synthesize technical concepts (e.g. platform design, algorithm design, model results, etc) for non-experts
- Intense intellectual curiosity – strong desire to always be learning
- Analytical, creative, and innovative approach to solving open-ended problems
- Highly collaborative, team-player attitude
- Bonus: strong interest in playing fantasy sports
At DraftKings, we promote diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.