Sr. Database Performance Engineer
We’re not your traditional tech company and we don’t aim to be. Going against the grain is in our DNA. Building a revolutionary product begins with revolutionary thinking. That’s why we value diversity background and lived experience. Together, we empower restaurants of all sizes to build great teams, increase revenue, improve operations, and delight their guests. We pair our deep understanding of the restaurant industry with powerful cloud based software and restaurant-grade hardware to deliver an intuitive all-in-one platform. Join us on our mission to empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Are you bready* for a new role?
As a business with a rapidly growing customer base, we naturally have a number of interesting challenges around scaling our existing application infrastructure, and designing new components with an eye to growth.
Some projects we’ve worked on recently include:
- Step Function workflows to extract relational databases into Spark for offline analysis
- Migrations of large active databases into Aurora
- Performance testing production-like workloads on our relational databases
- Created our own Lambda-based profiling tool to deeply analyze performance issues
About this roll*:
- Work on scaling and performance testing our Postgres databases, particularly the challenging large sharded database.
- Work with feature development teams to optimize existing queries and establish practices for creating newer optimized queries.
- Assist feature development teams with data modeling.
- Help create better observability of performance and usage of our data tiers.
- Establish a migration path from heavyweight ORMs like Hibernate to lighter-weight JDBI.
- Select hardware and storage, and iteratively tune database server parameters.
- Refine our existing RDBMS and NoSQL systems, and assist the feature development teams in choosing the right technologies for their problems.
- Work with our IaaS/SaaS vendors to make the best use of their database products, to participate in advisory boards, and to make cases for new features.
- Work with other infrastructure staff to keep infrastructure costs in line with our planned usage.
- Collaborate closely with application developers on schema changes, using migration tooling
- Provide responsive support for production databases, participating in rotating on-call schedules.
Do you have the right ingredients*?
- 6+ years as a DBA or database performance engineer working on relational databases
- Linux/Unix system administration exposure
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture developed on JVM technology. We run in AWS and use various Amazon technology extensively. Database technology includes RDS/Aurora Postgres, RDS/Aurora MySql, DynamoDB, and MongoDB. Our transactional databases are a set of sharded Postgres instances.