Sr. Data Scientist at Abacus Insights
Abacus Insights is a mission-driven, start-up technology company that is focused on improving health outcomes, lowering the cost of healthcare, and delivering a more seamless healthcare experience. At our core, we are passionate about advancing healthcare and improving people’s lives through technology.
Abacus Insights provides a flexible, efficient, and secure platform that organizes and exchanges data from various sources and formats, allowing healthcare companies to uncover differentiated insights that address their customers’ needs. Our employees know that they play an active role in keeping our customers data safe and are responsible for ensuring that our comprehensive policies and practices are met.
With our deep expertise in cloud-enabled technologies and knowledge of the healthcare industry, we have built an innovative data integration and management platform that allows healthcare payers access to data that has been historically siloed and inaccessible. Through our platform, these health insurance payers can ingest and manage all the data they need to transform their business by supporting their analytical, operational, and financial needs.
Through this mission and passion to aid people and population health, we have built a highly successful SaaS business that is heavily funded (since our founding in 2017 we have over 53 million) by leading VC firms who have deep expertise in the healthcare and technology industries. At Abacus, we are solving problems of massive scale and complexity in an industry that is not only ripe for disruption but requires innovation. We see massive growth in our future and would love for you to be a part of it!
We are looking for a Data Scientist to join our product delivery team that is solving real problems in health care. Health care data is diverse and complex. We’re looking for someone who can help us make sense of it. Specifically, the ideal candidate is adept at using large data sets to find opportunities for product and process optimization and using models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action. They must have strong experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, using a variety of data tools, building and implementing models, using/creating algorithms and creating/running simulations. They must have a proven ability to drive business results with their data-based insights. They must be comfortable working with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams. The right candidate will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes.
Responsibilities for Data Scientist:
- Work with product managers, process and domain subject matter experts, and engineering partners to identify areas to leverage data science practices to develop predictive insights to make our service offering more effective
- Mine and analyze data from customer data sets to drive optimization and improvement of product development and business strategies.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets.
- Use predictive modeling to increase and optimize customer experiences and other business outcomes.
- Develop company A/B testing framework and test model quality.
- Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes.
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy.
Qualifications for Data Scientist:
- Strong problem solving skills with an emphasis on product development.
- Experience using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SLQ, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets.
- Experience working with and creating data architectures.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams.
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
- We’re looking for someone with 3-5 years of experience manipulating data sets and building statistical models, has a Master’s or PHD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field, and is familiar with the following software/tools:
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques: GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, text mining, social network analysis, etc.
- Experience querying databases and using statistical computer languages: R, Python, SQL, etc.
- Experience using web services: Redshift, S3, Spark, etc.
- Experience creating and using advanced machine learning algorithms and statistics: regression, simulation, scenario analysis, modeling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc.
- Experience analyzing data from Health Care domain
- Experience with distributed data/computing tools: Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Gurobi, MySQL, etc.
- Experience visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders using a BI/Analytics solution
Equal Opportunity Employer:
As a mission-led technology company that is helping to drive better healthcare outcomes, Abacus Insights believes that the best innovation and value we can bring to our customers comes from diverse ideas, thoughts, experiences, and perspectives. We are dedicated to building diverse teams, and as such provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. As well as prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.