Software Engineer, Infrastructure at Wistia (Cambridge, MA or Remote)
The Infrastructure team at Wistia builds the deployment platform and supporting tools to enable engineers to focus on building applications. We are 100% in AWS, using Kubernetes to run apps in prod and Terraform to manage most cloud resources. Our near future focus will be on bringing our stack up to current state of the art with an emphasis on developer experience improvements, including projects like migrating our k8s workloads from EC2 to EKS, moving CI workloads from Jenkins to GitHub Actions, and productionizing our Argo deployment for a few upcoming product needs.
Our day-to-day is a mix of making progress on capital projects, collaborating with other teams to ensure we have the infrastructure in place to support upcoming plans, and responding to small support requests to keep engineers unblocked. We consider our broader engineering team our customers, and keep our focus on projects that make it easier for engineers to work. We are a team of 3 today, and we’re distributed spanning ET to PT time zones. We will remain fully distributed post COVID-19, with synchronized quarterly visits to our Cambridge, MA office.
You will be a great fit for this role if you thrive supporting colleagues across teams and want to spend your time immersed in the layers of modern cloud infrastructure running apps at scale. We value a background writing software, though that’s not a big part of every project, and it’s more important to be eager to learn new technologies as needed.
- 2+ years experience running software in AWS (or a comparable cloud)
- Experience working with infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform
- Familiarity with deploying software with containers and Kubernetes
- Proficiency in 1 of Ruby, Go, Elixir, or a language comparable to one of those
- Comfort sharing the on-call rotation with your teammates
- Comfort working on a fully distributed team
- Commitment to reinforcing a safe, inclusive work environment
- Help design, configure, and deploy the various technologies comprising our deployment platform
- Help diagnose and address bugs affecting production apps, helping other teams build apps that play well with our underlying infrastructure
- Improve observability across our stack so performance degradations can be caught and engineers can see how the system is behaving in production
- Share the on-call rotation and support both urgent incident response and proactive incident prevention
We are committed to seeking a diverse pool of candidates to join our team. If this team interests you but you’re not sure if you fit this role, please apply and summarize your interest in a cover letter! You can read more about our DE&I commitment and policies here.
When you apply, please link or upload any resources that will help us understand your background and your strengths.
We try to ensure Wistia is an inclusive and diverse place where everyone feels happy, fulfilled, respected, comfortable, and welcome. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We care a lot, so our benefits are actually benefits, not just the fun stuff like swag and snacks in the office (though we also have lots of those too!).
We know the biggest investment we can make is in our employees, so we provide:
- A great compensation package
- 401k with 3% company contribution, regardless of whether you contribute
- Profit Sharing!
- Flexible hours
- Fully paid healthcare coverage for you and your family (including dental) and a healthcare FSA
- Up to 16 weeks paid family leave
- Flexible vacation and sick leave
- Transportation subsidies
We have a beautiful office in Cambridge, MA, but we’re all working remotely (all 100+ of us) right now. Permanently remote applicants will be considered for this role (ideally within 3hrs time zone).