The Analytics team at Wistia is building the data stack to enable the next generation of Wistia content analytics. This team, formed in early 2020, has big goals for the future with opportunity for huge business impact and lots of implementation autonomy to determine how we get there. We have a legacy analytics stack on life support, and we are rapidly building out new tools capable of obsoleting the legacy and enabling many new analytics product features. We are excited about our new stack, which uses Kafka and Flink for stream processing and Druid for storage and querying, but many challenges remain. In 2021, we will be adding new data sources, fixing performance issues as we scale up, building tools to reprocess bad time segments from archives, and porting features from the legacy stack to the new. We will remain fully distributed post COVID-19, with synchronized quarterly visits to our Cambridge, MA office.
Our work so far has included a steady stream of finessing low level configuration details, performance tuning and issue diagnosis, workflow automation, and other infrastructure support. We are seeking an infrastructure engineer to join the team and largely own this work while also collaborating closely with our dedicated Infrastructure team. Wistia does not have a formal SRE function, but we are considering this to be something like an SRE role except with an attachment to the Analytics team for the foreseeable future.
You will be a great fit for this role if you would enjoy teaching the cloud how to most reliably run our containerized applications, removing obstacles in close collaboration with an ambitious engineering team, and learning new technologies as needed along the way. You may also have a special interest in or past exposure to analytics systems, data processing pipelines, or niche database technologies.
- 2+ years experience running software in AWS (or a comparable cloud)
- Experience working with infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform
- Familiarity with deploying software with containers and Kubernetes
- Proficiency in 1 of Scala, Ruby, Elixir, or a language comparable to one of those
- Comfort sharing the on-call rotation with your teammates
- Comfort working on a fully distributed team
- Commitment to reinforcing a safe, inclusive work environment
- Help design, configure, and deploy the various technologies comprising our analytics pipeline, including automating critical operations
- Help diagnose and address performance issues relevant to query cache performance, data volume utilization, JVM runtime, and more, so the user experience stays responsive and reliable
- Improve the overall observability of our stack so performance degradations can be caught and addressed, and so your teammates can get increasingly detailed views of how the system is behaving in production
- Share the on-call rotation and support both reactive incident response and proactive incident prevention
The Analytics team will be hiring multiple roles in the coming months, and we are additionally committed to seeking a diverse pool of candidates to join the team. If this team interests you but you’re not sure if you fit this role, please apply and summarize your interest in a cover letter! You can read more about our DE&I commitment and policies here.
When you apply, please link or upload any resources that will help us understand your background and your strengths.
We try to ensure Wistia is an inclusive and diverse place where everyone feels happy, fulfilled, respected, comfortable, and welcome. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We care a lot, so our benefits are actually benefits, not just the fun stuff like swag and snacks in the office (though we also have lots of those too!).
We know the biggest investment we can make is in our employees, so we provide:
- A great compensation package
- 401k with 3% company contribution, regardless of whether you contribute
- Profit Sharing!
- Flexible hours
- Fully paid healthcare coverage for you and your family (including dental) and a healthcare FSA
- Up to 16 weeks paid family leave
- Flexible vacation and sick leave
- Transportation subsidies
We have a beautiful office in Cambridge, MA, but we’re all working remotely (all 100+ of us) right now. Permanently remote applicants will be considered for this role (ideally within 3hrs time zone).