Senior Software Engineer, Data Platform
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Today we support tens of thousands of restaurants who see the quality of timely and insightful data as critical to their success. By this point next year, we are expecting to have doubled our data and traffic volume. The Data Platform team is building the massively-scalable Spark, Avro and Parquet based streaming data plane built on AWS that will meet this goal.
Are you dedicated to the craft of raising the right kind of information, at the right time, in the right context? Do you believe that extraordinary products differentiate themselves by moving beyond a simple "report" into a data rich experience? If so, we'd like you to join us.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Data Platform team you will be:
- Building and maintaining the infrastructure of our high performance, highly reliable data analytics platform
- Polishing and improving the data model used across the company with an eye toward long term scalability
- Improving, augmenting and overhauling our existing reporting system to raise insights for our customers that couldn’t be accomplished without the power of the new platform
- Working individually or sometimes as the technical leader of a small group of engineers across a broad spectrum of projects
- Collaborating with many of the most critical aspects of the business, ranging from the CTO all the way to Customer Success and Marketing
Some projects we’ve been working on recently include:
- Implementing a Kafka streaming framework that supports a changing data landscape as the organization grows
- Expanding functionality within a cluster of Spark-based microservice backends that quickly serve sub-second requests across years of financial data
- Prototyping a GraphQL based Backend-for-the-Frontend that ensures our data visualizations remain performant as the complexity of the data grows
Do you have the right ingredients?
- 5+ years of experience in Java, Groovy, Kotlin or another JVM based language with object-oriented components
- Some experience working within the data analysis ecosystem on top of platforms such as Hadoop, Spark, or Snowflake. Experience developing and operating production hardened ETL pipelines with tools such as Airflow is a huge plus!
- Not afraid of the command line and willing to jump in and assist with ops as necessary to keep the pipeline moving. You design things that are easy to operate and maintain.
- The ability to break large tasks into manageable releases, focusing on obtaining customer feedback early and often
- Former teammates who rave about your ability to clearly communicate, empathize with the customer, and “tell it like it is” when there is room for improvement.
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.
An innovative company culture depends on diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people with different perspectives and experiences.