• 5+ years professional experience full-stack mobile development, functional-style (Scala, Haskell, Clojure, etc..) environment strongly preferred
• Thorough understanding of microservices architecture, and master of at least one server-side stack (preferably Scala or Python based)
• Comfortable making deep contributions to and navigating data pipelines at scale
• A proven ability to build prototypes and take a data-driven approach to product development, testing and measuring new ideas very quickly
• Passion for technical leadership and mentoring
As a Senior Full Stack Engineer, Back End/Data, you will contribute to building a product that impacts millions of users. You will design, build, scale, and maintain our reporting, attribution and data integration infrastructure. Your work will help inform, enrich and drive our business and marketing decisions - and in the process cross technical and functional boundaries, and deeply learn how our business works at scale. You will collaborate with a team of talented engineers, product managers, and data scientists to break down complex problems and experiment with new ideas very quickly. Your contributions will be broad, and you’ll be expected to nimbly move across our tech stack.
Day to day, your work may range from helping to design and evolve the system architecture, supporting us as we scale, to building out end-to-end prototypes and other tests for product features and ideas, to inventing, iterating on and applying our latest frameworks to help optimize user experience in-app.
- Collaborate with a team of talented engineers to develop innovative solutions to challenging, impactful technical problems
- Quickly prototype new ideas and run experiments to identify features that users love
- Contribute both to maintenance, scale and improvement of our microservices back end, as well as to the tracking, attribution and various ETL pipelines (Scala/Python)
- Thoughtfully assist with the evolution and automation of our ops processes, participating in the on-call rotation for team owned services
- Help evolve our architecture, to consistently improve development efficiency
- Influence the technical direction for the team and the strategic direction of the product
- As a senior member of the team, mentor, support, and otherwise level up the more junior team members
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.