Company HQ in Boston, MA - Remote candidates welcome. East Coast timezone preferred.
Experience: 5+ years professional experience
Indico is a venture-backed startup making the application of deep learning practical in the enterprise. Our focus is on helping to automate tedious back-office tasks, and improve the efficiency of labor-intensive document-based workflows. The fundamental branch of technology we use to achieve this is known as transfer learning, which allows us to train machine learning models with orders of magnitude less data than is required by traditional techniques, with a strong emphasis on NLP and text processing. We are looking for a Senior Research Scientist to help us solve real world problems with the latest machine learning tech.
About the position:
As Senior Research Scientist at Indico, you will be responsible for driving advances in the core machine learning tech that enables our users to automate processes built on text, image, and document data sources. You will help improve and design systems that enable users to build performant, transparent, responsible custom models with just hundreds of examples. You’ll lead the charge on novel, multi-modal models and help us dream up better methods of supervision than simple one-hot labels. You’ll drive the R&D team in improving a human-in-the-loop machine learning system that aims to support and enable our end users rather than replace them.
You have a practical mindset and prefer empiricism to theory, but are comfortable speaking the language of academia. You’ve done prior work in multiple machine learning sub-fields. You have experience working with the latest deep learning tech but test simpler methods first and add complexity only as needed. You have experience working with unstructured text and image data. You have exposure to machine learning in industry, and understand the complexity that comes with machine learning systems in the wild. The phrase “artificial general intelligence” makes you cringe but you’re optimistic about the potential of machine learning systems as productivity tools. You iterate quickly and design tests to validate your hypotheses. You believe well-designed datasets beat complex model architectures 9 times out of 10. You believe that meaningful technical contributions can be made even without access to massive amounts of compute. You enjoy playing the role of mentor and teacher and get joy out of sharing your knowledge and insight.
- Engineer text, image, and document analysis algorithms to solve novel problems
- Design workflows to enable non-technical users to build custom machine learning algorithms with small amounts of labeled training data and carefully guide model behavior over time
- Architect models to make use of multi-model data from scanned documents.
- Help the team evaluate technical efficacy of new machine learning tasks and determine what problems are appropriate fits for a machine learning solution
- Act as technical mentor for other members of the R&D team
- Engineer machine learning solutions from start to finish -- from dataset creation to model development to testing and deployment
- Experience with modern deep learning for text and image data
- Experience applying machine learning in a practical setting
- Experience working with low data techniques (i.e. transfer learning, few-shot learning)
Indico is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to equal treatment of all employees without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, physical or mental disability or other basis protected by law.
The use of external recruiters/staffing agencies requires prior approval from our People Operations Team. The People Operations Team at Indico requests that external recruiters/staffing agencies not to contact Indico employees directly in an attempt to present candidates. Complying with this request will be a factor in determining future professional relationships with Indico.
Indico will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates themselves for either current or future positions. Submission of unsolicited resumes in advance of an agreement between the People Operations Team and the external recruiter/staffing agency does not create any implied obligation on the part of Indico.
Read Full Job Description