Senior Experience Strategist
About us: Cantina is an award-winning strategic design and development agency based in Boston with expertise in digital design, mobile app and web development, IoT, connected devices, and experience strategy. We work with companies in all major industry sectors ranging from the Fortune 500 to high growth startups. Our clients include some of the largest and most innovative companies on the planet, and we are actively exploring and doing work in a variety of exciting areas including health & wellness, financial services, sports tech, AR & VR, and machine learning. At our core, we are a team of creators, innovators, builders, designers, engineers, and strategists who love what we do. We are committed to designing and building experiences that truly matter, and that enhance the human experience.
About the role: We’re looking for an experience strategist to join our experience strategy and service design practice. Our human-centered approach focuses on finding the intersection of the desirable, viable, and feasible. We work closely with clients to pursue a research-backed design process that delivers products, services, and experiences people want, need, and desire and that benefits both the client organization and the people it serves.
About you: You’re smart, passionate, and collaborative. You are curious about people, their behaviors and motivations. You strive in co-creative environments and view communication as a central tool for good design. While you have strong opinions, you know how to negotiate effectively and seek consensus. You are as computer-savvy as you are people-friendly. Collecting data and deriving meaningful, actionable insights from that data is your passion.
- Help plan and lead qualitative & quantitative research efforts to better understand people and their environments, including ethnographic interviews, contextual observations, and other design research techniques
- Perform primary and secondary research to understand organizations and their competitive context
- Analyze and synthesize research into actionable insights, opportunities, and recommendations. Contribute to product and service conceptual discussions with team members and clients to find consensus on areas of opportunity.
- Create research-backed current- and future-state customer journey maps based on personas or archetypes. Create service blueprints.
- Help structure and facilitate workshops to define goals, concepts, and service prototypes
- Help structure and facilitate participatory design workshops and/or generative design research workshops to bring users into the design process
- Develop product and services strategies and roadmaps
- Effectively communicate research findings, workshop outputs, and design rationale both verbally and visually
- Support pre-sales engagements and marketing events from a user research perspective to educate prospects on Cantina’s design practice
- Support business development pitches and proposals that showcase the value of user research to potential clients
- You have a bachelor’s degree in interaction design, service design, anthropology, a related field, or demonstrated experience that makes the degree irrelevant
- You have 5-10 years professional experience in ux research or experience strategy at an agency, consulting firm, in-house team, and/or boutique strategy firm
- You have direct experience planning and facilitating a variety of research methods including; one-on-one interviews, observations, contextual ethnography, diary studies, usability testing, culture probes, co-design session, and workshops.
- You excel at being a storyteller—delivering insights about people and behavior, verbally, in writing, and visually—in a way that generates empathy, emotion, and engagement from the client and design team
- You have experience analyzing qualitative data sets, deriving insights and creating research deliverables such as reports, personas, and customer journeys
- You’re passionate and enthusiastic about excellence and attention to detail
- You have strong influencing, negotiation, and communication skills (written, verbal, presentation)
- You constantly look for ways to improve your process and will do the same with ours
- You’re comfortable working independently, with some guidance, and are comfortable with ambiguity
- You’ve demonstrated a willingness to have a voice in the design community; you speak at events and/or cultivate an opinion publicly
- Competitive base salary
- Eligible for a target bonus of up to 20% of base salary
Benefits and Perks
- 100% employer-paid insurance premiums for health, dental, vision and disability
- Flexible Work Arrangements (such as work from home days) available upon request
- Optional company-paid mobile phone plan
- Company-paid bike share program
- Paid parental leave up to 6 weeks
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match
- Vacation time accrued to 20 days per year
- Convenient location in Boston’s downtown area close to public transportation