Senior Database Operations Engineer at TripAdvisor
The candidate will join the Database Operations team and fill a lead role in the initial implementation and rollout of Cassandra across the TripAdvisor ecosystem.
They will work to deliver infrastructure as code in the form of instance provisioning, change management, and rolling maintenance operations in automated fashion.
The candidate will build automation tools around self service tooling and other improvements to our existing and extensive Postgres relational ecosystem.
The candidate will be open to exploring and provisioning other persistence technologies as platform services hosted and used by multiple business units.
The candidate will work to build repeatable benchmark testing solutions against existing databases/data platform.
The candidate will be expected to be a technical leader across the organization, mentoring junior engineers and advocating for best of breed solutions to solve difficult technical challenges.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical field
- Strong understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Experience in an operations role supporting a 24/7 production environment, or ownership of personal internet-accessible servers operating 24/7
- Organized, good attention to details, and able to work both independently and with a team
- Comfortable in a fast-paced operations environment with frequent interruptions and irregular hours
- Experience on configuration management tools such as Ansible (preferred), Salt, Puppet or Chef.
- Preferred knowledge with Linux OS, docker and Kubernetes etc.
- Experience building, administering and managing mission-critical high available/high volume production systems running on Cassandra OSS is desired.
- Experience on system sizing, capacity planning and performance tuning.
- Strong written and verbal communications in English