Senior Data Scientist at Hopper
| Greater Boston Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 7:35 a.m. (EST) on Wednesday, August 11, 2021
• A degree in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or other quantitative disciplines
• Extremely strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Proven ability to communicate complex technical work to a non-technical audience
• A strong passion for and extensive experience conducting empirical research and answering hard questions with data
• Experience with relational databases and SQL
• Experience in Pandas, Python & R or other tools appropriate for large scale data preparation and analysis
• Experience with data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling tools and underlying algorithms
• Experience with business reporting tools such as Tableau, Amplitude
• Experience with revenue management models in travel a plus
• More than 5 years of experience as a Data Scientist
• Ability to break down complex business problems down to the data drivers
• Strong ability to communicate models and insights to stakeholders
• Comfortable collaborating with engineering to identify and own data science implementations in production
• Able to design, create and measure consumer facing experiments
• Able to provide thought leadership on pricing and revenue management models
About the job
We’re looking for a motivated data scientist and data wrangler to help us capitalize on key data-centric product opportunities within the B2B business unit.
You might be a great fit for our team if you’re a self-starter who thrives on uncertainty, and who’s passionate about exploring the intersection of real business problems with huge (and often messy) data sets, and finding effective ways to simplify and focus on practical opportunities to deliver value to our customers. To succeed at Hopper you need the talent, drive, and experience to thrive in a highly performing company.
Uniquely, this opportunity is to be the first Data Scientist in the B2B business unit, setting the standard for how we collect, analyze, and modify pricing and behavioural data across flight, hotel, and rental car providers, as well as our own unique fintech products, to an entirely new user base of millions of customers.
Specific challenges include measuring likelihood of exercise on our fintech policies, predicting our likely exposure / value at risk for our fintech products, optimizing pricing and better understanding and impacts on retention.
- Frame and conduct complex exploratory analyses needed to deepen our understanding of our new B2B2C users
- Have ownership of the full data science lifecycle, including partnering with product, engineering and business teams to deliver customer focused products.
- Use machine learning and big data tools on large and complex data sets to enhance our data-driven, personalized travel advice
- Create advanced dashboards for product experiment tracking and business unit performance analysis using Amplitude, Tableau and BigQuery/Google sheets
- Find effective ways to simplify and communicate analyses to a non-technical audience
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.
Read Full Job Description