Senior Data Scientist at CarGurus
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work’s made a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US, and we’re expanding globally. Ready to come along for the ride?
On the Algorithmic Traffic Acquisition team our goal is to extract insights from voluminous amounts of data and set the strategic course for online bidding. The general problems to solve are unconstrained; we are tasked with spending a large budget as efficiently as we can. How we achieve that is up to us. We are looking for entrepreneurial Data Scientists who can help continue to capture and retain unique visitors to our site from online search and social media platforms.
What You’ll Do:
- Analyze data, and design and implement data science or machine learning solutions
- Aid the engineers who will implement your solutions in production
- Communicate solutions to both a technical and a lay audience. E.g., what is it, how does it solve the problem, why is it reasonable, what could go wrong
- Estimate the long-term conversion rate of each of hundreds of millions of keywords, combinations of demographics, and other forms of targeting
- Analyze searches entered online and site activity to find new keywords and negative keywords
- For any given monthly spend target and measure of efficiency (e.g., CPL, ROI), estimate the efficiency metric which will result in the target spend.
- Measure the impact of television and radio advertising on online advertising
Who You Are:
- You have owned Data Science for an organization
- Experience working with datasets, and strong interest in deep data analysis – with a desire to investigate large amounts of Data and generate insights
- Practical Experience in Python or R
- Deep understanding of numbers with strong business sense
- Understanding of the following principles:
- Time Series
- Classification Algorithms
- Recommender Systems
- Feature Engineering
- Data Manipulation & Cleaning
- Advanced Degree (or relevant experience) in one of the following: Statistics, Computer Science (ideally with a focus on machine learning) or any quantitative field which makes use of advanced statistical or machine learning techniques
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, Germany, Spain, Italy, and the UK—with other markets on the horizon. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.