Senior Data Engineer
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. To help our partners attract qualified talent, we create content that tells their story in a way no job post ever could — and we put their jobs in front of people who were born to do them. Our audience of sought-after candidates use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and applying to jobs at companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, and Nationwide.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.We're looking for a Data Engineer (Chicago HQ or Remote)
The Senior Data Engineer works on the back-end of our platform, focused on building data pipelines to that power our Candidate Recommendation Engine (CRE) and other aspects of our business. This work is often done with Python and intersects with the core backend that is written in Go; knowledge of both would be preferable, but Python is required. All Data Engineers should follow our engineering standards, including a commitment to unit-testing and to SOLID design principles.How you'll contribute
- Ownership of Built In’s Data Pipeline; this is the data that we pull from LinkedIn, from GitHub, and any other third-party service.
- Must collaborate with other members of the engineering team, whether as mentor or mentee—especially via pair-programming.
- Is primarily expected to be an individual contributor, focused on writing and reviewing code.
- Works with other members of the team with kindness and objectivity, and understands that there is no place for condescension and negativity in a functional team.
- Must advocate for focus on technical debt in concert with execution of new features, and has an understanding that doing so allows our team to scale with the demands placed upon us in a stable and robust manner.
- Be passionate about programming and learning new technologies; focused on helping themselves and the team improve their skills.
- 4+ years of experience within the field of data engineering.
- Proven experience with Python. Understanding of Go.
- Experience with data warehousing and data pipeline tools (examples being Snowflake and Airflow).
- Exposure to principles of automated testing and commitment to testing as a way of producing robust code.
- Experience with Git and understanding of our basic workflow (branching for your own work; pull requests to commit work back).
- Experience with Unix on the command-line, whether via terminal in MacOS or directly on a version of Linux/*BSD, is greatly valued.
The team members we’re looking to hire will work out of our office at 203 N LaSalle located in the beautiful city of Chicago. We offer health, dental, and vision insurance benefits, commuter benefits, 401(k) match, casual dress, catered lunch (Monday - Thursday) and cold brew coffee on tap.Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity.
Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law