Senior Data Engineer, Biological Products at Indigo
Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, conserve resources for future generations, and grow healthy food for all.
Indigo’s Biological Products organization develops products based upon our deep understanding of the plant microbiome. The company has commercialized such products for cotton, wheat, barley, corn, soybeans, and rice in North America, Latin America, and Europe under the biotrinsic™ brand. Our R&D and product development teams are working to continue to develop products that address the growing number of abiotic and biotic stresses that crops experience worldwide. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Basel, Switzerland, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil.
As a Sr. Data Engineer in Biological Products, you will have the opportunity to work across multiple research and technology teams to design and architect our database systems. Our team captures, integrates, and visualizes complex scientific datasets to accelerate research and product development at Indigo. We are looking for someone with expertise in database architecture and management, including schema creation and modification to drive efficiency in data cleaning, quality control, handling, analyzing, and visualizing complex data sets. The ideal candidate will be team oriented, excited for new challenges, comfortable in a fast faced and dynamic environment, and have a strong interest in scientific data.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure smooth operation of all data pipelines in Biological Products.
- Build new data models, tables, and views to capture R&D data
- Develop, improve, and migrate data to better models when needed, while maintaining the existing research pipelines.
- Update existing code and create new code as needed (python, SQL) into reusable pipelines and tools to support research activities.
- Understand the data and the business needs to propose new views and data pipelines.
- Help create prioritized map of needed pipelines to build and improve.
- Support prototyping of new visuals, data dashboarding, and data analytics pipelines
- Contribute to the production of high-quality code (python, SQL).
- Expertly review code, have your code reviewed, and mentor other engineers.
- Contribute to strong data governance: identify where further QA/QC of the data is needed and create processes and tools to improve the data quality by working closely with the researchers and data scientists.
- Build standards of excellence for database design, and serve as an advocate across Indigo for data quality and data engineering
- Contribute to development of data engineering strategic initiatives and long-term planning
- Experience in understanding deeply the data and business logic and in evaluating the context and pain points around data handling
- Proficient in understanding and building complex SQL queries
- Proficient in building clear and organized python code
- Proficient in understanding and maintaining complex analytical pipelines
- Empathy and passion for understanding research activities, data challenges, and user needs and requirements
- Excellent communicator and team player
- Works well in cross-functional environments with frequent context switching
- Passion for concise and thorough documentation
- Able to prioritize conflicting demands, and comfortable with ambiguity and challenging company goals
- Able to work independently and drive to solutions with minimal direction
- 7+ years of experience in data engineering, data management, data operations or analytics OR equivalent combination of MS degree and relevant work experience
- Broad science or industry experience (ag tech, data science, tech, life sciences, etc.) in a fast-paced and quickly pivoting environment
- Expertise in SQL and Python required
- Strong analytical skills and experience with research data and data modeling required
- Background in statistics is a plus
- Experience with AWS services is a plus
- Experience working with agile software development teams
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Generous time off
- Parental leave
- A remote-first organization with flexible work hours
- 401(k) plan
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.