Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
On the Data Science team, our goal is to extract insights from voluminous amounts of data and create practical insights using data science and machine learning tools. The general problems to solve are unconstrained; we are tasked with collaborating with business partners to drive the company’s innovation and profitability. We are looking for a Principal Machine Learning Engineer who can further the team’s mission of solving core business problems with data science. As we scale our team’s impact to the organization, we need to build out and own the ML infrastructure to support our growth. In particular, we need someone to standardize and own our process for standing up and scaling cloud-based python services and APIs.What You’ll Do:
- Write code to productionize our python ML models, taking them from the prototype stage to robust scalable services.
- Lead systems design conversations with our data scientists and engineering partners, using your engineering expertise and experience to help them design scalable and robust systems.
- Establish and inform engineering standard methodologies for the Data Science team and more junior machine learning engineers on the team
- Lead strategy for ownership and maintenance of Data Science team engineering infrastructure
- Promote and foster an inclusive, transparent, and collaborative culture
- You have successfully integrated high-throughput machine learning services (ideally written in python) into a broader microservices architecture
- Experience setting up continuous integration/continuous delivery/continuous training pipelines for machine learning models
- Experience evaluating and integrating 3rd party ML tools to accelerate development, e.g. Kubeflow, Sagemaker, H2O.ai, Databricks, Seldon
- Familiarity with Python ML ecosystem (numpy, pandas, sklearn, XGBoost)
- Mastery of software engineering tools and standard methodologies, e.g. git, unit testing, object-oriented design, containerization
- Experience deploying, monitoring, and troubleshooting ML solutions (e.g. prediction services & training pipelines, and also queues/streams) in a public cloud (we use AWS)
- Knowledge of SQL and familiarity with cloud data warehouses (we use Snowflake)
- Fluency in Kubernetes (the cnvrg ML platform we currently use is build on top of K8s and our engineering department uses K8s to manage its microservices)
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
CarGurus employees in the US can choose to work from home / remotely for the duration of 2021, or participate in a phased return to our beautiful office spaces. We expect most roles to be in-office at least 3 days a week beginning January 2022. In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.