Principal Data Scientist at CarGurus
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
On the Data Science team our goal is to extract insights from voluminous amounts of data and create actionable insights using Data Science and Machine Learning tools. The general problems to solve are unconstrained; we are tasked with collaborating with business partners to drive the company’s innovation and profitability. We are looking for a Principal Data Scientist who can further the team’s mission of solving core business problems with data science. The current work of the team includes capturing and retaining unique visitors to our site from online search and social media platforms, helping to deliver high-quality data products to our dealer partners, and helping to craft both long- and short-term strategies for our marketing and advertising spend.What You’ll Do:
- Communicate solutions to both a technical and a lay audience. E.g., what is it, how does it solve the problem, why is it reasonable and what could go wrong
- Analyze data, and design and implement data science or machine learning solutions
- Aid the engineers who will implement your solutions in production
- Measure the impact of your models and build A/B tests
- Improve CarGurus core algorithms like Instant Market Value (IMV)
- Measure the impact of television and radio advertising on online advertising
- Improve CarGurus core algorithms like predicting the probability of a user or customer converting or churning
- Take an interest in R&D and the latest ML research, but also don’t hesitate to use a tried-and-true tool when it’s the right one for the job
- Promote and foster an inclusive, transparent and collaborative culture
- Experience working with widely varied datasets, and strong interest in deep data analysis – with a desire to investigate large amounts of data and generate insights
- Proven experience turning data into successful products
- A breadth of (theoretically grounded) knowledge in Statistics and Machine Learning, ideally with experience deploying machine learning services in production
- Advanced Degree (or proven experience) in one of the following: Statistics, Computer Science (ideally with a focus on machine learning) or any quantitative field which makes use of advanced statistical or machine learning techniques
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
CarGurus employees in the US can choose to work from home / remotely for the duration of 2021, or participate in a phased return to our beautiful office spaces. We expect most roles to be in-office at least 3 days a week beginning January 2022. In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.