Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) Senior Manager
At Indigo, our mission is: harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. We started down this path leveraging microbiology, but we have quickly expanded across the entire agriculture supply chain.
Indigo Carbon and the broader Terraton Initiative is the most explicit expression of our sustainability goals yet. Our goal is to remove 1 trillion tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, sequester it in agricultural soils, and by doing that, improve the health of the soil, the profitability of farmers, the quality of our food, and the health of our planet. This goal is massive, and it will require a diverse team to make it happen. If you’ve been looking for a company that moves at the speed of Silicon Valley and is explicitly taking on climate change, we’d love to hear from you.
Today, the average busy person doesn’t have a way to fight climate change in their daily lives. Carbon calculators are clunky, carbon offsets are opaque, and few brands have gone beyond being “carbon neutral.” Carbon neutral is helpful – at least it’s not making things worse. But at Indigo, we want to be part of the solution. For that reason, we are creating a certification that goes beyond carbon neutral to being part of the problem. Imagine an “organic certification” or “non-GMO certification” that you see on the side of products you buy, but instead it is a “climate positive certification”, representing a product has a net reduction in atmospheric greenhouse gas emissions.
The Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) Senior Manager will be responsible for establishing and managing our ecosystem of LCA partners, which are the 3rd parties that independently conduct assessments of the environmental impact of various products. This is a foundational role because without understanding the environmental footprint of a product, we cannot effectively assert that a product is Climate Neutral. This role has both strategic and operational components and is essential to enabling our consumer-facing certification scale to millions of products worldwide.
This role will report to the Head of the Terraton Certification.
The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
- Manage and drive the LCA process and overall strategy for Indigo
- Develop and manage strong relationships with the top 5-10 largest, most viable LCA providers, negotiating contracts and service-level agreements
- Actively collaborate with the carbon market development team to close 2-4 large CPG companies in Terraton Certification deals
- Identify key parameters for standardization in the LCA process (data, data collection, measurement, etc.) and lay out plan/timeline to standardize inputs to accelerate the LCA process
- Determine and execute the LCA long term strategy as it develops and scales
- Package a systematic LCA offer to bring to CPG companies, industry partners, etc. interested in the Terraton Certification
- Able to explain complicated science to a wide range of audiences
- Deep understanding of GHG accounting protocols worldwide
- Strategic capability
- Strong analytical and technical ability
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Able to work cross-functionally
- Able to learn rapidly
- Able to assess a situation, set a strategic direction, and execute independently
- Able to build relationships/credibility with standards-setting bodies, e.g. Science Based Targets, GHG Protocol strongly preferred
- Passion for Indigo’s mission
- Advanced degree or MBA required
- Experience at one of the bigger LCA providers in senior management role preferred
- Experience conducting or commissioning LCAs or Carbon Footprints for a large CPG, preferred
- Technical expertise of LCA standards and processes, preferred
- Relationships with existing LCA providers and third-party reviewers; ideally also with product companies at LCA interface (e.g., know what it takes to take a CPG through a product LCA), strongly preferred
- Corporate environmental sustainability experience, preferred
- This role is based in Boston, some travel required
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.