Head of Data Modeling and Analysis at MassMutual
At MassMutual, we’re passionate about helping millions of people find financial freedom and this passion has driven our approach to developing meaningful experiences for our customers. The Data Engineering team, part of MassMutual’s Enterprise Technology Experience organization, is comprised of highly skilled, collaborative problem solvers who are motivated to create innovative solutions that exceed the changing needs of our customers and move MassMutual – and the industry – forward.
To continue our cutting-edge work, we are hiring a Technical Strategic Manager to join our team.
What great looks like in this role
Our ideal Technical Strategic Manager has advanced knowledge of application, data, and infrastructure disciplines. You’ll use your skills to implement data strategies, build data flows, and develop conceptual solutions for our data management practice. You will lead a team of experienced individuals and direct on-shore & off-shore resources. You’re capable of working independently and communicating effectively to provide feedback on policies, procedures, processes, and standards. The team culture of working collaboratively, cross-functionally, using old and new technologies combined with the work/life balance provided by MassMutual are core reasons people enjoy working on the Data Engineering team at MassMutual.
Objectives of this role
- Provide technical leadership on maintaining and developing our Cloud EDW data modeling and analysis standards.
- Provide a process for solving technical issues that affect the reliability, accuracy and timeliness of the EDW.
- Provide a process to prioritize work and allocate resources to meet customer demand.
- Provide technical leadership in our Guilds Process to oversee our future state EDW.
- Provide technical & resource management leadership to front line staff under your purview.
- Maintain a good relationship with internal & external customers of our services.
- Provide technical leadership for our Data Persistance technology on the Cloud.
- Provide technical leadership for our designs of Extract, Load & Transform technology on the Cloud.
- Provide technical leadership to build a platform that can be leveraged by internal & external teams.
- Provide technical leadership to build a cloud data platform that is cost effective & scalable.
Daily and monthly responsibilities
- Work with our Agile Guilds Process to contribute to our future while engaging our staff
- Work with our business partners to gather feedback and understand their future project needs.
- Tend to your staff’s needs to facilitate their ability to grow in their careers and contribute at a higher level to MassMutual’s goals.
- Help resolve issues and concerns with our Technology Platforms & Processes.
- Work with other managers to deliver projects for the MassMutual business
- Have a good understanding of what part we play in the success of MassMutual and keep it front and center with staff & consumers.
- Have the ability to work side by side with staff to resolve issues and deliver on our promises.
- Review technical designs from team members and provide guidance on delivery of projects.
- Help team conform to SDLC processes
Skills and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, computer science, information systems, or related field.
- 15+ years experiences with Information Management systems like Teradata, Informatica PowerCenter, Informatica MDM, Messaging Technology, SDLC in the data management space.
- Advanced knowledge of application, data and infrastructure disciplines.
- 5+ years experience leading teams of staff & contractors to deliver successful projects in the information management space.
- Experience with capacity planning, database scripting and package deployment.
- Excellent knowledge of data warehouse, data mart, and data lake.
- Experience working with business partners to collaborate on business requirements to develop an integrated data model.
- 5+ years facilitating meetings and providing presentations to stakeholders and senior leaders.
- Expert in data modeling, data warehousing, dimensional modeling, data modeling for big data, and metadata management.
- Excellent communication, problem solving, organizational, and analytical skills required.
- Able to work independently.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to present design of the solution to various stakeholders.
- Authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future.
- Experience in data management and design in the Life Insurance and/or financial industries.
- Expert experience with Inmon and Kimball data modeling patterns.
- Expert experience with data modeling tools such as Erwin.
- Experience with backup, recovery, archiving and data security aspects of an EDW.
- Experience with developing and implementing a testing and data validation approach from both a regression and project implementation perspective.
- Experience with managing large scale development projects.
- Understanding of enterprise and reporting modeling concepts, including dimensional modeling, snowflakes, slowly changing dimensions, schema on read, irregular dimensions, and surrogate, compound and intelligent keys.
- Advanced degree in computer engineering, computer science, information systems, or related field.
A career at MassMutual means you will work alongside exceptional people and be empowered to reach your professional and personal goals. Our employees are the foundation of what makes MassMutual a strong, stable and ethical business. We seek and value unique and varied perspectives and experiences because we believe we are stronger when all voices are heard. We invite you to bring your bright, innovative ideas to MassMutual as we continue to help millions of Americans rely on each other.