Head of Data API Delivery at MassMutual
The MassMutual Data Engineering Group is seeking an outstanding individual to lead and manage the Data API Delivery group. The successful candidate will lead and expand a team implementing APIs to large scale data solutions based on ecosystems ranging over a wide range of persistence platforms such as Vertica, Postgres, Spark and cloud-based storage layers and infrastructure. The members of the team work with fellow engineers and enterprise stakeholders to develop and maintain REST interface to our enterprise data and analytics platform among other backend systems.
The successful applicant will be expected to quickly learn relevant modern technologies & technical concepts. The applicant must possess a solid understanding of computer science fundamentals, including object-oriented and or functional program design, and deep understanding of API design and development.
• Develops the vision for API delivery across the enterprise in partnership with Head(s) of Enterprise Architecture (Applications, Data, Infrastructure & Security)
• Develops & owns roadmaps (goals & strategies) for API delivery to support strategic projects across multiple business functions within the enterprise
• Lead, develop and scale (hiring & vendor partnerships) multiple agile delivery teams comprised of cross functional roles - product manager, project manager, business analyst, software engineer
• Oversee planning, prioritization, execution & delivery of large & complex project portfolio spanning multiple business areas / stakeholders
• Develop and implement strategies for lowering the delivery cost & time through vendor partnerships & optimized agile team structures (workcells / squads)
• Partner with Data Integration Platform & Enterprise Architecture teams to adopt standards & patterns for API development & operations
• Accountable for timelines, budget and resources for strategic projects, enhancements/maintenance (BAU) and production support of APIs
Skills & Qualifications
• Advanced Degree in Computer Science or relevant discipline
• 15+ years of overall IT experience
• 10+ years of management experience of software engineering/delivery teams
• Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong vendor management experience especially with distributed teams (onshore / offshore)
• Demonstrated ability to manage and direct work under pressure on concurrent project work efforts
• Strong understanding and practice of agile software development processes
• Ability to travel between Boston and Springfield campuses (twice a week)
• Authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future.
• Experience working with relational databases, specifically Postgres and Vertica.
• Experience in AWS cloud technologies and stack
• Experience in the insurance and financial industries