Enterprise Architect - Data at MassMutual
Since 1851, MassMutual’s commitment has always been to help people protect their families, support their communities, and help one another. This is why we want to inspire people to Live Mutual. We are people helping people.
A career with us means you will work alongside exceptional people and be empowered to reach your professional and personal goals. Our employees are the foundation of what makes MassMutual a strong, stable and ethical business. We seek and value unique and varied perspectives and experiences because we believe we are stronger when all voices are heard. We invite you to bring your bright, innovative ideas to MassMutual as we continue to help millions of Americans rely on each other.
Together, we are stronger
The MassMutual Data Science team in the Enterprise Technology and Experience organization is seeking an outstanding Enterprise Architect-Data to join our team. The enterprise architect for data will be responsible for evaluating and benchmarking new database technologies and enabling MassMutual to make high impact, long-term decisions around design, procurement, and deployment of database, storage, and computing technologies that underpin the data analytics, reporting, pipeline, streaming and data science capabilities at MassMutual. Additionally, this architect will be responsible for defining the standards of data flow and data access for all data platforms driving analytics, reporting, and data science systems. This includes the specification of data interchange formats and data interfaces including API’s and driver based access. The data architect will also be responsible for drafting technical standards, creating data reference architectures, patterns and publishing architectural artifacts. This is a critical strategic architecture role to help drive digital transformation and create a competitive advantage for the company
Incumbents work with data scientists, engineers, product managers, and enterprise stakeholders to help deliver innovative, data-driven systems aimed at transforming the insurance industry. As part of a Data Science team, incumbents may be responsible for any of the following:
- Technical evaluations and benchmarking of core data technologies including query engines, storage platforms, and big data computing frameworks.
- Specification and publication of standards around data transport and data APIs
- Thought leadership and active participation in conferences and research with strategic partners and academic institutions
- Define the technical platform strategy for enterprise consumer data initiatives
- Partner with senior leaders to develop and maintain data platform and data technology strategy
- Define data architecture strategies and approaches to advance enterprise data initiatives
- Partner with business executives and senior architects to identify data and process issues, then provides solution options and recommends options
- Provide recommendations on system options, risks, cost/benefit analysis, and impact on cross-domain systems, business strategy, goals and processes.
- Collaborate with extended enterprise architecture, business, and IT support teams to communicate data architecture strategies, standards, and direction.
- Big Data - Hadoop, Hive, Flume etc.
- AWS EMR, Spark
- ETL/ELT pipelines
- Function as a Service - Lambda
- Data Warehouse – Redshift, Vertica, Snowflake etc.
- Relational database – Oracle, DB2, Aurora, MySQL
- Graph Database – Neo4j, Neptune etc.
- Data Analytics – MicroStrategy, Tableau, PowerBI, AWS Quicksight etc.
- Data Engineering – Relational, Dimensional, Columnar, Graph DB design
- Streaming – Kafka, Apache Nifi
What great looks like in this role
The Enterprise Architect will be part of MassMutual’s team whose vision is to build an industry leading EA function that creates alignment between technology and business strategy. The EA will have an opportunity to guide the process of planning and designing capabilities to maximize the value of IT and enable the company to make high impact, long-term decisions. This will be accomplished through architecture strategies, blueprints and road maps that standardize technology stacks and create engineering speed and agility through the innovative use of data science, data analytics, cloud and API’s. The EA will work with a team that embrace diversity in all of its forms, respect and have fun.
Objectives of this role
- Enterprise data architecture strategy
- Enterprise data analytics strategy
- Data Reference architectures
- Data placement, usage and storage patterns
- Data integration patterns
- Data platform architecture and design
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Computer Science, Engineering or an analytical field such as Economics, Mathematics or Information Systems
- 5 years of related IT Solutions Architecture or Technical Lead
- Deep technical knowledge across the various integration points
- Understanding of the impact of IT on business results
- Authorized to work in the US with or without sponsorship now or in the future
- 7 years of related IT Solutions Architecture or business consulting experience preferred
- Preferred job experience includes some knowledge of Insurance and Retirement Services
- Excellent communication, presentation, influencing and reasoning skills