Engineering Manager, Data Science at Klaviyo
At Klaviyo, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives each Klaviyo (we call ourselves Klaviyos) brings to our workplace each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match with the description, we hope you’ll still consider applying.
Klaviyo's Data Science Team is growing fast and we are looking to hire a manager for our Strategic Guidance Team. The Strategic Guidance Team is building a platform to suggest actions, optimizations, or experiments to maximize the performance of customer's use of Klaviyo. Using the billions of data points Klaviyo collects and learnings across Klaviyo's hundreds of thousands of accounts, the Strategic Guidance Team is able to uncover effective strategies that help businesses have stronger communication with their audiences. The team then rapidly prototypes, trials, refines, and releases in-product experiences that allow businesses to adopt these winning strategies.
Klaviyo operates a real-time data platform coded in Python built for massive scale on Amazon Web Services (AWS). Engineers on the data science team come to Klaviyo with experience in a variety of languages and from a number of disciplines.
We love tackling tough engineering problems and are looking for a Data Science Engineering Manager who is versatile across both front end and back end development, passionate about building, owning & scaling features end to end from scratch and breaking through any obstacle or technical challenge in their way.
Technologies we use (not comprehensive!):
- Numpy, Scipy, Pandas
- Aurora, ClickHouse, Kafka
Learn more about our engineering culture at https://klaviyo.tech and listen to our data science team podcast at https://medium.com/klaviyo-data-science
How you will make a difference:
- Manage a team of 3-6 engineers and data scientists working alongside designers and product managers
- Level up the team through hands-on coaching and individual contribution. This includes pairing with direct reports to design, write, and deliver software to improve the scalability, reliability, and security of Klaviyo's systems.
- Rapidly prototype, build, and iterate on features built on data science that thousands of our customers rely on daily to reach 100M+ of consumers to drive their business forward
- Hold the team to high standards in experimental design when evaluating features and customer impact
- Ship code early & often in an agile fashion, pairing with product management to craft better software by soliciting feedback from thousands of end users
- Be empowered to own the mission, technical direction and operations of projects that have immediate impact
Who You Are:
- 7+ years of software engineering experience in a fast-paced SaaS environment
- 2+ years of prior management experience
- Strong interest in Data Science or Statistics
- Deep knowledge of object oriented programming and experience with at least one object oriented programming language (Python, C++, Java, C#, Ruby)
- Experience with database technologies in highly scaled production environments
- Experience with developing test strategies, designing automation frameworks, writing unit/functional tests to drive up code coverage and automation metrics
Get to Know Klaviyo
Klaviyo is a world-leading marketing automation platform dedicated to accelerating revenue and customer connection for online businesses. Klaviyo makes it easy to store, access, analyze and use transactional and behavioral data to power highly-targeted customer and prospect communications. The company's hybrid customer-data and marketing-platform model allows companies to grow by fostering direct relationships with customers, without giving up their valuable data to popular big-tech ad platforms. Over 265,000 innovative companies like Unilever, Custom Ink, Living Proof and Huckberry sell more with Klaviyo. Learn more at www.klaviyo.com.
Klaviyo is committed to diversity and to a policy of equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.