Engineering Manager - Data Engineering at CircleCI
Data is at the very core of the decisions we make at CircleCI. We leverage our wealth of data to help build our product, understand our customers’ needs, and help those customers make better engineering decisions themselves.
We’re looking for a leader for the team serving as the stewards of that data - our Data Engineering team.
The team that you will be leading, and helping to grow, is a talented group of engineers focused on delivering the tools, processes, and products used to get our data into the hands of teams across our organization and to our customers. These engineers are working on ingesting, curating, and publishing data to and from a variety of sources from our own product to the tools we use to do business.
Today, the team is made up of four experienced engineers and will be growing to several teams over the coming year.We’re looking for an invested manager to be a key part of growing this group and helping I them succeed in delivering a critical function in our rapidly growing organization.What You’ll do as an Engineering Manager at CircleCi
- Support the team: You’ll collaborate with engineering leadership and key stakeholders on longer-term, strategic planning as well as seeing out the execution of those initiatives.
- Support engineers’ growth: You’ll have direct reports ranging from mid-level to highly experienced engineers. You’ll be responsible for their performance and career growth. You’ll work with them to identify areas in our Engineering Competency Matrix where they’d like to focus their efforts, and support them through regular feedback, goal setting, and providing them with challenging work that drives value for our users and business.
- Build the team: This team is growing rapidly, and we want you to be a key part of that growth. You’ll be involved in the hiring process from application review to offer through to onboarding your new engineers.
- Collaborate with leaders across the organization: You’ll work with leaders in every department - Revenue, Finance, Marketing, Product, Engineering, and more - to help solve the needs of an increasingly data-driven organization. In this role, you’ll be reporting to our Senior Engineering Manager, Data.
- This post contains more information about our hiring process for this role: What we've learned about hiring engineering managers
- What to expect as a remote CircleCI employee
- How my distributed team communicates so no context is left behind
You’re invested in the team of engineers that you support, and you utilize regular feedback, expectation- and goal setting and clear alignment behind goals to drive high performance on your team. You practice a service-oriented leadership style and know what it takes to build strong, productive, and inclusive teams. You flourish in a rapidly-evolving, fast-scale, highly ambiguous environment, and are interested in growing together with us.
Collaboration is an important part of how you work, and you enjoy navigating constraints and finding creative solutions to challenging problems together with your teammates. Managing competing priorities, requests, and requirements to help your team build the right thing is something you enjoy. You bring business acumen and a strong understanding of iterative value delivery and agile development processes, and utilize them to drive continuous value delivery on your team. And, above all, you communicate effectively to a wide audience of people with varying degrees of depth in technical understanding.Experience You Bring To This Role
- At least 1 year of direct management experience - leading a software engineering team and directly managing engineers. You have directly participated in hiring processes in the past.
- At least 6 months of full-time experience working with a fully distributed team.
- A track record of utilizing agile and lean methodologies to help your team continuously deliver user value.
- Experience working in or leading a service or platform engineering team and building out self-service capabilities.
- Solid technical understanding and an ability to grasp deeply technical concepts quickly. Strong facilitation skills when it comes to translating stakeholder needs into technical requirements.
- Experience working closely with or directly managing cross-functional stakeholders.
We’re a distributed company with offices in San Francisco, Toronto, Japan, and teammates across the globe. We would be hiring you as a full-time employee based in Canada, with the option to work remotely.How to Apply
If you’re interested in joining the team at CircleCI, please send a resumé and a cover letter if you’d like to let us know describing what inspires you and why you think you are a good fit for the team. If you contribute to an open-source project, write a blog, or have a presence on the web (GitHub, Twitter, Stack, etc.) we would love to hear about it.
We know there’s no such thing as a "perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply. At this time we also have an opening for an engineering manager for our Growth team - learn more about that role.About CircleCI
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
We are a globally distributed team working towards the common goal of being the standard-bearer for continuous integration and deployment software. We are looking for people who are interested in helping us shape software engineering best practices for the industry as a whole.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Some content from our blog that may be interesting to you:
- How to Get Hired at CircleCI
- A Letter to Future CircleCI Employees
- How We Uphold Our Inclusive Values as a Global Team