Hopper is the smart way to book travel on your phone. Combining massive amounts of data and advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper predicts and analyzes airfare and accommodation to save users money and enable them to travel more often.
Since its launch in 2015, Hopper has become one of the fastest growing travel apps ever with over 30 million installs to date. It is now the most downloaded flights booking app in North America and travelers have booked hundreds of millions of dollars in flights and hotels around the world using Hopper.
The app has received accolades such as Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company in Travel 2018, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016, and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
We’re looking for a data-savvy individual to join our Data Science team as an Economist, to answer timely, real-world questions in a logical, accurate and accessible way and conduct creative analyses on leading-edge topics based on our real-time feed of billions of flight search results along with an archive of several trillion data points. You may be a great fit for our team if you are excited about exploring huge (and sometimes messy) data sets and finding effective ways to simplify and communicate the results to a non-technical audience.
In this role you will
- Contextualize Hopper’s database of trillions of data points by applying an econometric toolkit to provide impactful insight into airfare and accommodation trends
- Lead the production of research content with Hopper's data science and communications teams Drive the next generation of our airfare pricing and forecasting algorithms
- Transform complex analyses into short, compelling, and easy to understand studies to share with journalists aimed at a consumer audience
- Design and implement ad hoc and automated analysis scripts, develop and deliver summary tables, charts and interactive tools to present your results
- Identify areas for further investigation as well as creating innovative methods of analysis. Work with key stakeholders across Hopper in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
A qualified candidate has
- A degree in Economics, Math, Statistics or other quantitative discipline
- Knowledge of econometrics and multivariate statistics, economic theory, and the ability to apply these skills
- The ability to distill complex subjects and data into compelling and understandable writeups A mix of creative and analytical thinking
- Strong communication and collaboration skills; able to build successful relationships with cross-functional internal teams
- The ability to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive and to handle uncertainty, ambiguity and the challenge of quickly evolving goals
- Experience using data visualization software such as D3 is a plus Exposure to scripting with Pandas, R, SAS or other data preparation and analysis tools
- Experience with relational databases and SQL would be an asset
Sound like a fit? We can't wait to hear from you.
- Well-funded and proven startup with larger ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
- Access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, all on us
- In Cambridge, work in a historic factory building near Kendall Square; in Montreal, work in an artist’s loft in the Mile End
- Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or paid parking
- IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry
- Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and healthy snacks
- Team lunches, off-site activities and much more!