Director of Machine Learning, Applied Research at PathAI (Greater Boston Area, MA)
PathAI’s mission is to improve patient outcomes through AI-powered pathology. We’ve built a revolutionary platform for transforming the drug development process through large-scale image analysis, identification of novel biomarkers, and improved patient selection. Our prediction platform is able to detect individual cancer and immune cells in gigapixel histology images, make reliable diagnoses, and provide estimates about survival and drug response.
We have access to a wide variety of data sources, and work closely with an unparalleled network of partners in biotech, pharma and academia. Our efforts are already yielding biological insights accelerating translational research and are being used to drive and improve a variety of clinical trials.
We’re shaping the future and direction of digital pathology and drug development through our AI-centric approach. Joining PathAI is an opportunity to make a massive impact by improving outcomes for patients around the world.
What you’ll do:
The mission of PathAI’s machine learning group is to develop models that solve a wide range of scientific and clinical problems in pathology aimed at improving patient outcomes. To this end, the role of the Applied Research team is to introduce new algorithms and techniques that accelerate our progress, make our models more accurate and robust, and introduce entirely novel capabilities to the company.
Your role will be to work closely with leadership from the machine learning, scientific programs, product and clinical teams to understand PathAI’s business and delivery goals and to translate them into research initiatives. You will manage the Applied Research team and its research agenda to accelerate and improve our ML capabilities and the breadth of our algorithmic tools.
You will provide technical mentorship and coaching to team members as they develop their skills working through ML and clinical research projects.
What you’ll need:
- 10+ years of industry experience.
- 2+ years of machine learning experience on large datasets.
- 3+ years of managerial experience leading technical teams.
- A track record of owning business problems and delivering effective solutions.
- Experience translating highly technical details to business or clinical partners as well as business or clinical details to ML researchers.
- Experience mentoring and guiding scientists on open-ended research projects.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a complex portfolio of research initiatives including identifying business problems, surfacing and reviewing research proposals, evaluating progress and defining project success and termination criteria.
- Proven ability to attract, retain, and develop great engineers and scientists.
- Familiarity with software engineering best practices and deploying ML models at scale in production systems.
- Experience working on deep learning algorithms applied to histopathology images.
- Experience with image segmentation, multiple instance learning, fine-grained classification or multi-modal learning.
For the right candidate, we'll offer a competitive salary plus equity. Your compensation is rounded out by a strong benefits package:
- Flexible work hours
- Three weeks of paid leave per year, an additional two weeks of sick time, plus extended holidays and team-approved leave
- Ten days of 100% subsidized childcare per year
- Healthcare, vision, and dental insurance plans (HMO or PPO), with voluntary add-ons available for dependent care, life, and accident coverage
- Commuter benefit available for public transit or parking
- Convertible sit-stand desks
- Weekly in-office yoga classes
Most importantly, you'll be doing important work with a team of people you'll genuinely enjoy spending the day with.
PathAI is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace that is free of harassment and discrimination. We base our employment decisions on business needs, job requirements, and qualifications — that's all. We do not discriminate based on race, gender, religion, health, personal beliefs, age, family or parental status, or any other status. We don't tolerate any kind of discrimination or bias, and we are looking for teammates who feel the same way.
PathAI does not accept unsolicited submissions from third-parties.