Director of Data Reliability Engineering at Everbridge
About the role:
Are you motivated by an incredible sense of purpose in doing work that helps keep people safe and business running daily, with results that regularly make headlines? Are you passionate about innovating on the industry’s cutting edge to develop solid architecture principles, operability guidelines, progressive scaling methodologies, and other sophisticated techniques to reliably operate critical technology infrastructure at scale? Do you have an insatiable appetite for streamlining out inefficiency, automating away toil, and proactively eliminating problems before they occur in the first place? If so, this position is a perfect opportunity for you to join the Everbridge Database Reliability Engineering team in a leadership role driving the architecture, design, implementation, strategy and operability of our global platforms.
About the team:
As the Director of the Everbridge Database Reliability Engineering team, you are responsible for ensuring overall service quality and availability of Everbridge's data solutions. The technology platforms that we support automate the international delivery of critical information to help keep people safe and businesses running. We are a 24x7x365 distributed team that can do our job anytime, anywhere on the planet with an Internet connection. Our holistic understanding of various technologies allows us to effectively maintain a heterogeneous blend of worldwide public and private cloud services where lives and livelihoods are at stake in the event of failures. We are dedicated, passionate people who are committed to internal/external customer service and doing the right thing.
What you’ll help us do:
* Keep people safe and businesses running.
* Provide leadership to our data reliability engineering team, helping them achieve their roadmap objectives and inspiring them to achieve their full potential.
* Own operational availability, security, performance, scalability, efficiency, monitoring, instrumentation, integrity, and overall service reliability of Everbridge's data tier.
* Collaborate across Agile teams with Architects, Developers, Quality, Security, and other Operations engineers on designing and implementing highly reliable data solutions.
* Embrace Database Reliability Engineering principles of automation, proactivity, cross-functional collaboration, objective decision making, and fast+safe failing to continually improve our technology and culture.
* Enhance our infrastructure, tooling, and processes to extend operability as a self-service function for other groups in the engineering value stream.
* Participate in a rotating on-call schedule to troubleshoot and resolve production escalations from our 24x7x365 NOC.
* Have fun while we work hard to make a difference.
Your qualifications include:
* 5 years’ experience contributing in a production environment as a DBA/DRE, SRE, Software engineering, or system administration.
* 3-5 years’ experience leading data engineering organizations
*Experience with Postgres, MongoDB, ElasticSearch and Kafka is highly desired
* Dedicated commitment to technical excellence and quality customer service
* Ability to write code in at least one programming language (e.g. Python, Perl, Java, Ruby, Go)
* Comfort using Git for practical configuration data and code management
* Experience working with Relational data systems (Postgres preferred)
* Strong query skills. 5 or more years working with SQL, MongoDB, or Elastic
* Data modeling, schema design and review
* Data integrity validation, error recovery, backup and restoration
Familiarity in any of the following technology areas is a plus:
* Automation framework orchestration, configuration management, and software-defined infrastructure management techniques (SaltStack preferred, others e.g. Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc. also acceptable)
* NoSQL and hybrid JSON/document-oriented data systems (MongoDB, Elastic, Riak, Cassandra, HBase, etc.)
* Infrastructure/application monitoring and alerting solutions (Datadog, Elastic BELK/X-Pack, Prometheus, Nagios, Cacti, Graphite/Grafana, InfluxDB, OpenTSDB, Splunk, Graylog, etc.)
Our team makes a difference during the most difficult times and challenging situations. Our people are dedicated to solving problems. Our software was built to save lives. Our unifying mission is to keep people safe and businesses running.
Headquartered in the great cities of Boston and Los Angeles, with operations across the world, our team of 750+ dedicated employees support more than 4,200 global customers every day in their most crucial moments. During public safety threats such as active shooter situations, terrorist attacks, or severe weather conditions—as well as during critical business like IT outages or cyber-attacks—customers rely on our SaaS-based platform to quickly and reliably aggregate and assess threat data, locate employees and first responders, automate a pre-defined communications processes, and track progress on those response plans.
Our culture is all about “Making a Difference,” and we are proud to serve
- 9 of the 10 largest U.S. cities
- 8 of the 10 largest U.S.-based investment banks
- 7 of the top 10 U.S. technology and telecom companies
- 25 of the 25 busiest North American airports
- 7 of the 10 largest U.S. healthcare systems
- 6 of the 10 largest U.S. retailers
As we continue to grow and transform the field of critical event management, we need passionate, committed individuals to help us carry out our mission. Click here to learn more about what we do. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, apply to be a part of our award-winning team.
Everbridge is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, or sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.