Director of Data & BI Platform Engineering at MassMutual
Lead a team of professionals responsible for Building and Maintaining data Platforms for Analytics & Data Science, the platforms will need to meet the highest standards of availability and functionality. Team Leadership and mentoring a team of local and remote employees and contract associates.
Define and build availability and performance metrics for each platform.
Work on actively sunsetting non-strategic platforms. Maintain vendor relationships and actively negotiate contracts for scaling and adding functionality for platforms.
Meet the Team –Data Management & Delivery:
It is an exciting time at MassMutual! MassMutual is going through a Digital Transformation, continuing to be a leading customer-centric company. The Data Management & Delivery team, part of MassMutual’s new Data Engineering Organization, is comprised of highly skilled, collaborative problem solvers who are motivated to create innovative solutions that exceed the changing needs of our customers and move MassMutual –and the industry –forward. The team culture is collaborative, cross-functional, and uses old and new technologies combined with work/life balance.
- Enterprise-wide transition to a unified and governed strategic BI Platform
- Expansion of Digital Operations footprint, and growing need for access to actionable data insights
- Revitalization of analytics and reporting applications to support changing industry needs and expectations
- Building our next generation data warehouse in AWS.
Are you highly analytical and like to solve complex problems? Would you describe yourself as a strong and collaborative leader? Would you want to be part of a team that encourages your growth, supports your ambitions, and makes it a priority for you to reach your goals? If yes, keep reading, this opportunity is for you!
To continue our digital transformation, we are looking for a strategic thinker and strong leader to join the Data Management & Delivery team that is tasked with implementing data strategies and developing platform target goals, aligning with overall company strategic initiatives. The Director of Data & BI Platform Engineering would need advanced knowledge of application, data, and infrastructure disciplines. Using technical and analytical skills, this role will lead a team of experienced individuals and direct on-shore & off-shore resources. Also, this role would be responsible for working independently and communicating effectively to provide feedback on policies, procedures, processes, and standards.
Objectives and Responsibilities
- Lead technical teams of experienced professionals, including onshore and offshore vendors to build a platform that can be leveraged by Internal & external teams
- Provide Technical Leadership to design and support an analytics data platform that is cost effective & scalable
- Coach, develop, and staff the Enterprise Data Management & BI Platform
- Create and own strategy to implement scalable, secure, and governed solutions/ tools at an enterprise-level to support business self-service
- Build a process for solving technical issues that affect the reliability, accuracy and timeliness of the strategic Enterprise BI suite of tools
- Resolve issues and concerns with our Technology Platforms & Processes.
- Communicate transparency to senior and executive leadership around platform metrics
- Prioritize work and allocate resources to meet customer demand
- Innovate future state enterprise BI strategy and process, working within an Agile Process
- Accountable for budgeting, project management, and road-mapping for platform development and implementation
- Oversee platform security and governance as well as upgrades, customization, and innovation of analytics technical solutions
- Maintain a positive relationship with internal & external customers of our services
- Bachelor's degree required (computer science preferred)
- 10+ years of related experience managing Enterprise Business Intelligence platforms, database technologies, and visualization tools
- 5+ years’ experience leading technical teams of staff & contractors to deliver large-scale projects in the analytics space, which require extensive collaboration across various groups in a matrix organization
- Expertise in BI reporting platforms including MicroStrategy, Tableau.
- Experience with capacity planning and software deployment using agile methodologies
- 5+ years leading BI platform team(s)
- Experience working with onshore and offshore vendors
- Experience working with cross-functional business partners to collaborate on business requirements
- 5+ years facilitating meetings and providing presentations to stakeholders and senior leaders.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Focus on the Customer: We understand our customers well and look for every opportunity to deliver an experience that is clear, easy, personal, human, empowering and trustworthy.
- Act with Integrity: We deliver on our promises by being open, honest and humble and by adhering to the letter and spirit of applicable laws, rules, regulations and company policies.
- Value People: We respect and learn from each other’s diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas. We engage and develop people to their greatest potential.
- Work Collaboratively: We work together to achieve results by actively listening, seeking, understanding and creating solutions as a unified team driving toward one company, one culture, and one brand.
- Achieve Results: We focus on winning by exceeding expectations and getting better – everyone, every day.