Data Scientist, Predictive Modeler at Indigo
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
As a Data Scientist on our GeoInnovation team you will leverage your knowledge of predictive modeling and your experience writing scalable code to contribute to the development of our global crop yield forecasts. Collaborating closely with other Data Scientists and Engineers, you will improve and expand upon existing systems, ultimately owning your own production models. This is a unique opportunity to play an integral role on a close-knit team that is dedicated to solving complex and meaningful problems.
- Build a deep understanding of existing systems and data assets; contribute to components of in-flight ML analyses
- Take ownership of discrete analyses, delivering on challenging deadlines
- Independently plan and execute modifications and improvements to existing macro-level yield modeling (for production and testing), leading to measurable improvements in results
- Collaborate with Engineering on scaling your work
- Insatiable hunger to learn
- Comfortable working with messy datasets
- Strong communication skills; able to translate results of complex analyses into interpretable results, both visually and verbally
- Enjoys collaborating with others
- Proactive and self-directed
- Strong coding skills, able to inherit and improve an existing codebase; writes well-documented, clean, maintainable code in a collaborative environment
- Thrives in a fast-paced, growth environment
- 1+ years experience in industry
- Masters or PhD degree with a quantitative focus preferred
- Fluent in Python and R
- Experience with git or a similar version control software
- Experience using PostgreSQL
- Practical experience building predictive models
- Experience working in either AWS or Google Cloud environment
- Experience working in an Agile software and/or product development environment preferred
- Familiarity with geospatial, satellite, or imagery data strongly preferred
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.