About The Opportunity
We’re all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you’re looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas–all while having fun together–Grubhub is the place for you!
More About the Role
Grubhub is looking for an innately curious, business-minded, results-oriented Data Scientist to work in our Search and Discovery team. We are focused on providing high quality recommendations to diners who are exploring restaurants in their area as well as those who are searching for something specific. As a member of this highly collaborative team you will partner with other data scientists, engineering, and product to deliver new run time models and services. You will be responsible for creating metrics to validate performance of models, proposing new algorithmic approaches to improve our current system, designing A/B tests, and identifying creative solutions to bridge state of the art information retrieval advanced and business and engineering requirements. Additionally you will be driving technology best practices and guiding the evolution of responsive systems. Some specific responsibilities include but are not limited to creating documentation accessible to both technical and non-technical audiences, mentoring junior data scientists, creating and maintaining automated training jobs, creating metrics dashboards and alerts, advising best algorithmic trade offs to business stakeholders.
The Impact You Will Make
- Help the business gain insights from recommendations in search and discovery with regard to short and long term metrics
- Drive orders and diner returns via enticing and relevant recommendations for searches
- Bring state of the art advances in IR systems to our runtime environment. Assess new algorithms and business policies
- Model system interactions and diner behaviors for search and discovery
- Inform real-time data requirements design
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering teams to understand new product ideas, assess risks and ensure that the necessary data is available
- Understand our brands, markets, user behaviors, and long-term trends and help characterize these
- Design and develop data-driven products to inform business decisions using metrics.
- Discover new and innovative ways to refine what we're doing and question existing assumptions.
- Relentlessly analyze and improve the performance of our business.
What You Bring to the Table
- MS in quantitative discipline (Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics or other technical field etc) or equivalent experience
- 4+ years experience with data analytics, machine learning, or related field
- 2+ years experience in applied predictive modeling with TensorFlow
- 2+ years experience in information retrieval or recommendation systems
- Experience language modeling, especially on imperfect grammars
- Experience tuning runtime models using GPUs
- Experience in data engineering and feature preparation in pyspark, hive,and the python data stack.
- Comfort communicating performance metrics, model details, and features specifications to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience deploying machine learning models to production
- Ability to keep up with the latest publications and synthesize research into working models
- Deep interest in self-motivated continuous learning
And Of Course, Perks!
Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
Competitive Pay. You’ll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.