Data Scientist, Analysis Infrastructure at Indigo
Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, grow healthy food for all, and conserve resources for future generations. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, rice, corn, and soybeans. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with commercial and customer service based in Memphis, TN. www.indigoag.com
The role of the Data Scientist, Analysis Infrastructure will build scalable solutions to generate insights from a broad set of Indigo data assets, ranging from high-resolution machine data to various remote imagery sources. The new hire will join a cross-functional team building an analytics engine that leverages data flowing from innovative field experimentation within the Indigo ecosystem, yielding data products that serve multiple internal and external customers. In addition, this role will use this unique grower ecosystem to prototype algorithms and tools for Indigo Fields, our distinctive software product that empowers grower decision-making to sustainably and profitably produce food while generating carbon credits.
- Build tools leveraging Indigo’s extensive data assets to yield better insights from experiments, bringing value to internal and external customers.
- Contribute to recommendation engine codebase that drives grower action by using valuable intelligence from Indigo Research Partners, the unique research ecosystem Indigo runs on commercial growing operations.
- Develop scalable algorithms for Indigo Fields software product focusing on the processing and cleaning of high-resolution machine data.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of Indigo's existing systems and data assets.
- Take ownership of discrete analyses with challenging deadlines, becoming a go-to person in the organization for high-quality deliverables.
- Build automated prototypes that can deliver compelling visualizations in a timely matter and at scale.
- Present results to both technical and non-technical audiences to effectively communicate technical merit and business value of their work.
- Synthesize data collected from multiple streams to help determine the optimal systems to improve grower success.
- Actively contribute to team code review and collaborative coding community, as well as internal seminars on topics of expertise (machine learning, statistics, quantitative modeling).
- Strong coding skills, able to inherit and improve an existing codebase; writes well-documented, clean, maintainable code in a collaborative environment.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, able to succeed through cross-functional collaboration.
- Proactive, self-directed, and able to think critically while being solution-oriented.
- Highly organized and demonstrated thought leader; able to influence without authority.
- Comfortable working with messy data-sets from a variety of non-normalized sources; can instill order and standardization.
- Strong communication skills; able to translate results of complex analyses into interpretable results, both visually and verbally.
- Demonstrated ability to assemble data from multiple sources (specifically, agronomic field data from large geographical areas spanning many environments) into summaries capable of driving decisions to meet business or scientific objectives.
- Enjoys capturing complex analyses problems; able to identify and apply appropriate advanced statistical analysis techniques as necessary.
- Excels at communicating data analysis at the interface of business and data science via documentation and concise language.
- 1+ years in professional data science setting.
- Masters or Ph.D. with a quantitative focus (i.e. computer science, physics, computational biology).
- Fluency in python and SQL required, fluency in R preferred.
- 1+ years’ experience working with Agile or Scrum processes preferred.
- Experience with spatial data analysis, data aggregation, and geovisualization.
- Practical experience with at least one deep learning platform.
- Strong experience with cloud computing (AWS preferred).
- Familiarity with agriculture-specific data sources and use cases preferred.
- This role is based in Boston, MA.
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.