At Hopper, we’re on a mission to make booking travel faster, easier, and more transparent. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing travel app -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel more. With over $235M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its path toward becoming the go-to way to book travel as the world continues its shift to mobile.
Recognized as the fastest-growing travel app by Forbes and one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company two years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 40 million times and has helped travelers plan over 100 million trips and counting. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016 and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Take off with us!
A stellar opportunity to have a massive impact: join the rapidly growing team at a company that continually redefining how people travel. Hopper was built on the premise that the combination of big data + machine learning could empower travelers in a completely unprecedented way. As a Data Science Manager, you will be directly responsible for many of the innovative features we’ll be working on in the areas of Price Prediction, Algorithmic Merchandising, Recommender Systems and Risk Modeling. In addition, you will be driving and leading strategic collaboration with our outstanding design, engineering and product team on building technology to personalize travel for our ever-expanding population of customers.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Manage experienced data scientists as well as develop junior team members
- Build, lead and drive team members towards an inspiring vision to deliver world-class data science products to create highly innovative customer experiences
- Develop and manage the long-term vision and portfolio of research initiatives for your team
- Collaborate directly with the company's technology leadership, product, design and engineering teams on insuring Hopper's success
- Implement best in class Data Science practices and Invest in data infrastructure to enable Data Science at scale
- Grow your team by hiring the best data scientists
A QUALIFIED CANDIDATE HAS:
- A degree in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or other quantitative disciplines
- Strong working knowledge of research methodology and statistical techniques including experimentation, statistical inference, and machine learning
- Big picture perspective and customer obsession
- Deep curiosity and love of problem-solving
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Engineers, and other highly skilled specialists
- 5 years of experience as a high-performing Data Scientist on a product team, including mentorship of more junior team members at different stages in their career. Formal management experience preferred
ABOUT THE TEAM
Our data science team cares deeply about the growth and success of Hopper, and is invested in delivering the best possible experience we can to our more than 40 million users. Work on an award winning product that our customers love and continue to find exceptionally useful in a market and space that is continually growing every year.
• Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
• Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
• 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
• Access to a 401k (Boston) or Retirement Savings Plan (Montreal)
• Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or parking pass
• IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry
• Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and snacks (both healthy and not-healthy)
• In Cambridge, work in a historic factory building near Kendall Square; in Montreal, work in an artist’s loft in the Mile End
• Team lunches, offsite activities and much more!