Data Platform, Team Lead at Toast
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Today we support tens of thousands of restaurants who see the quality of timely and insightful data as critical to their success. By this point next year, we are expecting to have doubled our data and traffic volume. The Data Platform team is building the massively-scalable Spark, Avro and Parquet based streaming data plane built on AWS that will meet this goal.
As an Engineering Team Lead for the Data Platform Core team you will be:
- Working as a technical and project leader of a small group of engineers across a broad spectrum of data infrastructure and systems projects. In addition to your own strategic contributions, you will also be responsible for the overall success of the team
- Building and maintaining the infrastructure of our high performance, highly reliable data analytics platform
- Polishing and improving the data model used across the company with an eye toward long term scalability
- Improving, augmenting and overhauling our existing reporting system to raise insights for our customers that couldn’t be accomplished without the power of the new platform
- Collaborating with many of the most critical aspects of the business, ranging from the CTO all the way to Customer Success and Marketing
Do you have the right ingredients?
- 5+ years of experience in Java, Groovy, Scala, Kotlin or another JVM based language with object-oriented and functional components
- Demonstrated leadership experience in the past, in formal or informal roles such as a team lead, manager, scrum master or project lead
- Some distributed systems experience, ideally within a cloud-based microservice-style deployment. Familiarity with DynamoDB, S3, Kafka, Docker and/or Spark is a huge plus
- Not afraid of the command line and willing to jump in and assist with ops as necessary to keep the pipeline moving. You design things that are easy to operate and maintain.
- The ability to break large tasks into manageable releases, focusing on obtaining customer feedback early and often
- Former teammates who rave about your ability to clearly communicate, empathize with the customer, and “tell it like it is” when there is room for improvement.
An innovative company culture depends on diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people with different perspectives and experiences.