Data Platform Manager at CarGurus (Cambridge, MA)
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
The Data Engineering team is looking for a highly motivated Data Platform Manager to evolve our modern data warehousing platform to world-class levels! As CarGurus enters the next phase of dramatic growth with new data sources, new business lines, and business acquisitions, we are looking for a candidate who possesses strong leadership skills and experience collaborating with a diverse set of stakeholders to drive data and analytics strategy.
What You’ll Do
- Gain a deep understanding of our evolving data and analytics stack
- Define and drive tactical decisions around Data Platform domain while providing input into larger strategic decisions around data infrastructure
- Manage a team of hardworking [Data Platform] engineers, supporting career and technical development opportunities
- Work with ours partners and stakeholders (including but not limited to Product Engineering, Platform/Infrastructure, and InfoSec) to build and maintain a technical roadmap that solves our biggest data challenges
Who You Are
- 5+ years of experience as a data engineer, software engineer, or related field
- 3+ years of people management experience
- Professional experience developing and executing on a data warehouse and/or data platform strategy using a modern data stack – at CarGurus, we use Snowflake, DBT, airflow, and docker
- Ability to move quickly in a dynamic and cross-functional team environment
- Expertise in SQL, Python, and system architecture – with the ability to understand the context of a business need and build a system that addresses it
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
We recognize that flexibility plays a critical role in enabling our people to thrive in both their personal and professional lives. We currently welcome Gurus into our Cambridge, MA office on a voluntary basis but do not require employees to physically be in the office. We will adopt a hybrid working model when health experts and government officials in our local communities deem it safe to do so. Specific arrangements within this model will be up to team leaders’ discretion; we encourage you to discuss your questions and needs during the interview process.
All US CarGurus employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. This helps us to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large.