Hometap empowers current and prospective homeowners to access their home's equity without the burden of debt. Our first product allows homeowners to tap into the built-in value of their home to do the big-ticket stuff that makes life better: start a business, renovate their home, get out from under crippling debt, pay for college tuition, or help family members.
We’re on a mission to make homeownership less stressful and more accessible by treating homeowners like CEOs of their household, and to make home equity investing as common as borrowing to finance a home is today. We also aspire to build a long-lasting, durable financial technology company that makes a positive mark on the Boston economy and beyond.
Hometap makes investments in homes, buying an equity stake against the home’s future value. For homeowners, this is a simplified, sensible alternative to mortgage debt and monthly payments. For investors, this is a new asset class, allowing them to participate in the multi-trillion-dollar residential real estate market without the obligations and downsides of homeownership. We’re scaling rapidly and we have begun expanding our platform to support forthcoming products, complex data science-driven pricing, and investment structure permutations. Our solution leverages advanced data and analytics as we create best-in-class experiences for our homeowners as well as our business and asset capital partners.
Who You Are:
The Data Science team at Hometap ensures we are making the right investments in the right homeowners and homes across the country. Our comprehensive roadmap includes building and deploying models to predict most aspects of a homeowner’s journey with us in an effort to streamline the process for the homeowner and maximize investor value.
A Data Engineer builds and maintains the data infrastructure that all of our analytics and data science is built upon. More than that though, they are a master of automation, striving toward the goal of no human action required. The ideal candidate is an experienced pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. The Data Engineer will support our software developers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. They must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
What You’ll Do:
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS ‘big data’ technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders on all teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems
What You’ll Bring:
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- The ability to build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres and Snowflake.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, etc.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
Our Team & Culture
At Hometap, we pride ourselves on being Owners -- of our jobs, our output, our careers -- and Good Neighbors -- we believe helping each other means helping the company, homeowners, and investors succeed.
Equally important to your skill set is what you bring to our team and business. We are looking for a creative thinker who looks for opportunities within challenges, rolls up their sleeves to get things done, values collaboration and communication, and embraces the Homeowner-first mentality. Critical to our mission is being thoughtful in everything we build. If you’re someone who embraces this builder mentality, you’ll be right at home here.