Data Engineer at SmartSense by Digi
Greater Boston Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:36 a.m. (EST) on Wednesday, May 20, 2020
Join a high-performing, tight-knit team at a fast-growing company that is using the Internet of Things (IoT) to transform how organizations sense, monitor, and make decisions. Founded out of MIT in 2005, SmartSense is trusted by more than 2,000 organizations, including Walmart, SpaceX, Apple, CVS Health, Coca-Cola, and the US State Department to help them make sensor-driven decisions. We have a solution that our customers rely on every day to make mission critical decisions; we are looking for team-oriented change agents to help shape the future of IoT.
Members of the Data Engineering team are passionate about engineering data pipelines - data ingestion, storage, notification, reports, and analytics. We are inspired by software engineering and in building tools, infrastructure, frameworks and services that enable insights of our business through our deliverable increasing the value of our data. As good stewards of our data we contribute to all aspects related to the handling of data, whether from our field sensors or reflecting internal processes such as our supply chain.
In this Data Engineer role, you will be involved in the transformation of sensor data and instrumentation that allow effective monitoring and reporting of the environments being sensed and of the sensors and networks we have deployed. The challenges are diverse as are the potential solutions, and you will have freedom to explore approaches to meeting the challenges coupled with responsibility for delivering effective analytic enabling products. You will have the opportunity to perform across a range of Data Engineering responsibilities and be constantly challenged to extend your skills and the solutions the Data Engineering team is able to provide.
BA/BS degree in a technical/quantitative field, 2+ years of experience working on data pipelines. Candidates must have an enthusiasm and passion for data engineering and bring an eagerness to learn. Candidates must have strong coding skills, familiarity with data access, ability to work independently and as part of a larger team, and a proven ability to solve problems and learn quickly. Candidates must have experience in at least one Data Engineering area (Data Pipelines, Data Modeling, Relational and Non-Relational databases, Data Warehousing, Big Data infrastructure, ETL Design and Algorithms)
Candidates with experience building data pipelines with Luigi or other workflow management tool. Candidates with experience in handling time series telemetry data. Candidate with experience with SnowFlake or other Data Management Platform. Candidate with experience with Metabase or other BI Tool. Candidates with experience working with Kubernetes or other container-orchestration system. Candidate with experience with the architecture and or design of distributed systems including utilization and development of RESTful web service API's
WITHIN ONE MONTH, YOU'LL:
- Learn about the various sensors and environments critical to our customers’ success
- Learn the scripts and tools that are currently in use to transform raw data into internal and customer reports
- Take ownership over the scheduled generation of reports to existing customers
- Build relationship with the awesome team members across other functional groups
WITHIN THREE MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Analyze requests for new and extended applications of reporting functions
- Take initiative in improving the efficiency of our pipeline scripts and automation
- Develop systems and processes to implement and automate quality on data pipeline deliverable
- Enhance the pipeline after working closely with the product team and stakeholders to understand how our products are used
- Contribute to on-boarding processes and make recommendations to make on-boarding process better
WITHIN SIX MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Take ownership over defining, implementing, and delivering reports based on our sensor data
- Become a contributor to the definition of the teams future data pipeline
- Be able to own the entire planning, scoping, design, and implementation of new features
- Identify opportunities to improve our infrastructure, operational performance, and data pipeline deliverable
WITHIN TWELVE MONTHS, YOU'LL:
- Contribute substantially to Data Engineering team efficiency
- Demonstrate mastery of existing capabilities through stakeholder interactions
- Evaluate new technologies and build proof-of-concept systems to enhance Data Engineering abilities and products
- Consistently deliver products that exceed expectations
- Contribute to the definition of new roles, mentoring, and training new hires into the Data Engineering team
SmartSense builds internet connected sensors and software that enable organizations to automatically monitor, track, and analyze sensor data for quality control, compliance, and operational efficiency. Our team is motivated to improve the world by providing real-time information that ensures medication and food safety. Our Vaccine Monitoring Initiative donates one system for each system we sell, so that a healthcare clinic in need can monitor life-saving vaccines. We endeavor to be both the best in the world at what we do, as well as, to be the best for the world because of how we do it; if you’re the right candidate, we will reach that goal together – and have a great time doing it!
SmartSense is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Read Full Job Description