Since 1851, MassMutual's commitment has always been to help people protect their families, support their communities, and help one another. This is why we want to inspire people to Live Mutual. We are people helping people.
A career with us means you will work alongside exceptional people and be empowered to reach your professional and personal goals. Our employees are the foundation of what makes MassMutual a strong, stable and ethical business. We seek and value unique and varied perspectives and experiences because we believe we are stronger when all voices are heard. We invite you to bring your bright, innovative ideas to MassMutual as we continue to help millions of Americans rely on each other.
Together, we are stronger
What great looks like in this role
Our ideal Data Engineer is someone who is passionate about data.
You enjoy building data projects from the ground up and are equally comfortable working with business partners to understand requirements as you are developing and delivering robust solutions that meet the highest standards.
Learning new technologies and working in the cloud excite you.
You are team oriented and a strong communicator.
Objectives of the role
- Design, build and maintain complex ELT jobs that deliver business value
- Translate high-level business requirements into technical specs
- Ingest data from disparate sources into the data lake and data warehouse
- Cleanse and enrich data and apply adequate data quality controls
- Provide insight and direction to guide the future development of MassMutual's data platform
- Develop re-usable tools to help streamline the delivery of new projects
- Collaborate closely with other developers and provide mentorship
- Evaluate and recommend tools, technologies, processes and reference architectures
- Work in an Agile development environment, attending daily stand-up meetings and delivering incremental improvements
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering or a related field
- Data: 8+ years of experience with data analytics and warehousing
- SQL: Deep knowledge of SQL and query optimization
- ELT: Good understanding of ELT methodologies and tools
- Troubleshooting: Experience with troubleshooting and root cause analysis to determine and remediate potential issues
- Communication: Excellent communication, problem solving and organizational and analytical skills
- Able to work independently and to provide leadership to small teams of developers
- Master's degree in computer science or engineering or a related field
- Cloud: Experience working in a cloud environment (e.g. AWS)
- Python: Hands on experience developing with Python
- Advanced Data Processing: Experience using data processing technologies such as Apache Spark or Kafka
- Workflow: Good knowledge of orchestration and scheduling tools (e.g. Apache Airflow)
- Reporting: Experience with data reporting (e.g. Microstrategy, Tableau, Looker) and data cataloging tools (e.g. Alation)
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.