Data Engineer Mastery
At MassMutual, we’re passionate about helping millions of people find financial freedom and this passion has driven our approach to developing meaningful experiences for our customers. The Data Engineering team , part of MassMutual’s Enterprise Technology and Experience organization, is comprised of highly skilled, collaborative, problem solvers who are motivated to create innovative solutions that exceed the changing needs of our
customers and move MassMutual – and the industry – forward.
To continue our cutting-edge work, we are hiring a Sr. Data Engineer to join our team.
- Design and implement the enterprise data platform.
- Develop advanced distributed analytics workflows on distributed data processing and computing platforms.
- Support the integration, management and analysis of very large and diverse financial and life insurance datasets.
- Build pipelines to clean, prepare, and enrich data and ultimately integrate into a consolidation layer presented to customers and enterprise stakeholders.
- Work closely with highly skilled data engineers to analyze and develop predictive data products that advance and transform MassMutual’s business.
- Design, develop, test and maintain highly scalable database applications on SQL and NoSQL databases and large-scale data processing and warehousing systems.
- Specify, install and update all maintenance procedure such as backup and recovery, high availability and disaster recovery.
- Recommend ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality.
- Collaborate with data architects, modelers and IT team members on project goals. Domain expert and mentors others. Provides temp leadership when needed across domains.
- Manages projects that integrate across multiple areas.
- Design, build, and measure complex ELT jobs to process disparate data sources and form a high integrity, high quality, clean data asset.
- Executes and provides feedback for data modeling policies, procedure, processes, and standards.
- Assists with capturing and documenting system flow and other pertinent technical information about data, database design, and systems.
- Develop data quality standards and tools for ensuring accuracy.
- Work across departments to understand new data patterns
- Translate high-level business requirements into technical specs.
What great looks like in this role
Our ideal Sr. Data Engineer is a collaborative leader skilled in data analytics, data modeling, and database design. You’re also committed to data integrity, are highly analytical, and can work on multiple projects at once.
You’ll use your skills to develop, monitor, and manage data systems across our platform. Additionally, you will act as a mentor to junior team members and coach them on best practices and engineering standards.
The team culture of working collaboratively, cross-functionally, using new technologies combined with the work/life balance provided by MassMutual are core reasons people enjoy working on the Data Engineering team at MassMutual.
Objectives of the role
Design, build, and measure complex ELT jobs to process disparate data sources and form a high integrity, high quality, clean data asset.
Working on a range of projects including batch pipelines, data modeling, and data mart solutions you’ll be part of collaborative project teams working to implement robust data collection and processing pipelines to meet specific business need.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering.
• 5+ years of experience with data analytics, data modeling, and database design.
• 3+ years of coding and scripting (Python, Java, Scala) and design experience.
• 3+ years of experience with Spark framework.
• Experience with ELT methodologies and tools.
• Expertise in tuning and troubleshooting SQL.
• Strong data integrity, analytical and multitasking skills.
• Excellent communication, problem solving, organizational and analytical skills.
• Able to work independently.
• Authorized to work in the USA with or without sponsorship.
• Master’s degree in computer science or engineering.
• Familiar with agile project delivery process.
• Knowledge of SQL and use in data access and analysis.
• Ability to manage diverse projects impacting multiple roles and processes.
• Able to troubleshoot problem areas and identify data gaps and issues.
• Ability to adapt to fast changing environment.
• Experience with Python.
• Basic knowledge of database technologies (Vertica, Redshift, etc.).
• Experience designing and implementing automated ETL processes.