Data Architect at MassMutual
Boston or Springfield, MA
Data Management & Architecture
Do you want to be part of a team that encourages your growth, supports your ambitions and makes it a priority for you to reach your goals? Is helping people part of who you are? At MassMutual, we help millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection and plan for the future. We do this by building trust with our customers by being knowledgeable problem solvers and prioritize their needs above all else. We Live Mutual.
If this sounds like a fit, we’re looking to hire a Data Architect to join our Corporate Finance data and analytics team.
Why we need you.
We’re growing and our clients deserve the best. As a Financial Data Architect you’ll have an opportunity to work with the finance business leads to map business requirements to scalable, extensible and accessible database design as part of our Amazon cloud-based data-management technology platform. The primary objective of the data-management platform is to onboard, process and serve MassMutual’s corporate finance data to enable MassMutual CFO data strategy. The data architect is a core engineering role within the data management team of the CFO organization and is charged with designing & deploying the underlying database structures. The data architect must bring a deep technical background, must be well-versed in Cloud (modern & full stack) technology, and should possess hands-on expertise in distributed-data-management technologies (Apache/open-source). The data architect’s primary responsibility is to create a cohesive financial data model (logical and physical) that is extensible and scalable and meets Corporate Finance’s business requirements.). In this role, as well as all roles within MassMutual, you will demonstrate accountability, agility, a dedication to be inclusive, a strong business acumen, and will show courage, even in the most difficult situations. We also highly value strong communication skills, a passion for learning, leadership traits, resilience and self-awareness.
What success looks like.
- Develop the conceptual, logical and physical data model for all corporate finance data
- Ensure the physical data model meets all the business requirements in supporting dashboards and reports and ad hoc analytics
- Ensure the physical data model is tuned for optimal performance throughput with respect to the underlying DBMS – preferably Vertica
- Ensure the integrity of the underlying data is maintained in terms of primary-keys, foreign-keys and unique-indices etc.
- Exhibit key MassMutual’s core competencies as below:
- Business Acumen: Demonstrate business acumen and knowledge of the underlying domains of data that supports the financial dashboards and reports
- Critical Thinking: Critically and logically evaluates performance benefits vs. academic approach in thinking of alternatives in modeling the data.
- Execution/Results: Takes ownership of problems and stays on top of them until resolved. Makes quick decisions and keeps track of Technical Debts. Fosters a personal commitment to the work.
- Engage and Inspire: Engage with the broader audience who consume data to continuously refine and enhance the underlying data model to suit various data-access patterns.
- Collaborate: Conducts periodic reviews with the business community and encourages feedback towards continuous improvement
- Learning: Constantly learns about industry best-practices around distributed-data-management technologies and applies that to the data consumption patterns.
- Communications: Ability to engage constructively with the dashboard & reports developers to help understand technology trade-offs.
What your days and weeks will include.
- Ensure best-practices database design principles are followed for master data management & conforming dimensional data (Type 1,2,3,4) management
- Collaborate in delivering data-driven analytical solutions & timely insights via dashboards and reports
- Publish domain specific data models across the user community
- Be a trusted database advisor for the CFO user community
- Collaborate with business analysts to prioritize use-cases and deliver on them
- Follow agile development methodology to deliver timely solution
- Follow CICD (continuous-integration and deployment) pipeline to ensure seamless migration across development, QA and production environments
- Conduct periodic data model reviews covering data architecture, data load patterns and design
- Publish and communicate standards and technology evaluations
The skills that make you a great fit.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in data-engineering and database design – 10 years preferred
- Exposure for a minimum of 3 years in Cloud technology (e.g. AWS EMR, Spark, Python, Vertica preferred)
- Hands-on experience for a minimum of 5 years in SQL
- Experienced in enabling and supporting data analysts in complex data science projects
- Deep proficiency in data architecture and data management principles – traditional RDBMS, MPP appliances, columnar repositories and distributed-data technologies
- Experienced in agile & waterfall project-management methodologies
- Bachelor's Degree
- Exceptional communication skills (written and verbal)
- Authorized to work in the US with or without sponsorship.
Degree in Computer Science preferred