Data Analyst, Systems Innovation at Indigo
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
Systems Innovation is the idea factory for Indigo. We are an interdisciplinary team of business, science, and technology professionals that drive radical change in agriculture through new systems of farming. Our team pioneers new technologies by setting up and exploring new data sources, ranging from on-tractor sensors to drone imagery to soil samples.
The Terraton Initiative is the most explicit expression of Indigo’s sustainability goals yet. Our goal is to remove 1 trillion tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, sequester it in agricultural soils, and by doing that, improve the health of the soil, the profitability of farmers, the quality of our food, and the health of our planet.
One key aspect of the overall initiative is the Terraton Experiment: the world’s largest soil study, designed to provide quantitative understanding of how regenerative management practices impact carbon sequestration, grower profitability, resilience, microbial diversity, and consumers. Our analysis depends on high-quality, low-latency data from farms spread across the country, along with data about economics and weather.
As a Systems Innovation Data Analyst, you will improve the visibility of all relevant data flows for the Terraton Experiment, so that our field operation teams can remove blockers, our scientists can test hypotheses, and our leadership can track progress. Later on, the scope could grow to include additional projects within the Systems Innovation team, such as the Terraton Challenge and Indigo Research Partners.
We’re looking for an emerging data leader excited by the challenges of working with the messiness of the physical world. We want someone comfortable talking with analysts, scientists, engineers, growers, agronomists, and management. We seek someone who can balance deep thinking about data architecture with rapid responses to urgent business questions.
- Understanding the Terraton Experiment and the key players and teams, build accurate and scalable queries and dashboards to contextualize and communicate one or more aspects of the Terraton Experiment data pipeline to the company using SQL and Looker
- Collaborate with analysts on the Business Intelligence, Indigo Carbon, Carbon Science, and other relevant teams to bring best practices to carbon data management
- Build queries and dashboards to contextualize and visualize key parts of the Terraton Experiment data pipeline
- Communicate the state of the Terraton Experiment data in a clear, action-oriented manner
- Drive the actions of multiple teams through your processing and presentation of data
- Become the main point of contact for multiple aspects of Terraton Experiment data availability, such as contracts, field boundaries, grower interviews, soil lab measurements, economic benchmarks, remote sensing zonal summaries, and microbial assay results
- Support the development of reports to share with growers and creation of figures for scientific publication
- Become the point-of-contact for all questions about availability and ownership of Terraton Experiment data streams.
- Advise the rest of the Systems Innovation team about how to incorporate additional data streams for future projects
- Ability to translate functional requirements into easy-to-use, flexible reporting solutions and dashboards
- Ability to understand and manipulate data to create beautiful visualizations with actionable insights for internal and external consumption
- Ability to collaborate well cross-functionally in a professional and effective manner. Balance and prioritize competing demands to create the highest overall value.
- Willing to do necessary tasks, even menial ones, with joy
- Ability to demonstrate rigor with best code and data management practices
- Ability to be an instrumental member of the data community at Indigo with a focus on growing our data driven culture
- Interest in the scientific aspects of the Terraton Experiment and other Systems Innovation projects
- 3+ years’ experience data modeling, BI dashboard design, or analysis
- Technical requirements:
- Extensive experience with data modeling and warehouse architecture.
- Proficiency with visualization frameworks, such Google Data Studio or Looker.
- Expertise with SQL (any dialect).
- Fluency with PowerPoint and Excel.
- Experience with Python, or willing to learn.
- Experience working cross-functionally
- Experience working in a fast-paced, growth environment
- Broad industry experience preferred (data science, tech, life sciences, etc.)
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.