Data Analyst, Industry Analytics at CarGurus
Meet CarGurus—the #1 most visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
About the Role
The Data Analyst for Industry Analytics brings strong technical and analytical skills and curiosity to support and inform Industry Analytics and its partners Sales and PR through communications and storytelling. You will enjoy problem solving with logical and simple solutions guided by an insatiable appetite for deconstructing data. A natural self-starter, you will manage numerous tasks and projects concurrently, meet ongoing and overlapping deadlines within short time constraints, and deliver high quality results.
What You’ll Do:
- Mine and analyze internal and external data sources including large datasets of operational and transactional data to surface
- Track meaningful market insights including pricing and inventory trends, trends in shopper behavior and preferences, and other industry intelligence
- Design and develop methods, processes and reporting formats that generate insights enabling efficient responses to data inquires and effective sharing of data with non-analysts
- Partner actively with PR team to analyze, interpret and communicate data insights and inform compelling stories to generate both consumer and trade media coverage
- Opportunity to provide commentary for the media, including participation in press interviews and development/vetting of press quotes as needed
- Collaborate with the larger CG Data Analytics Working Group to uncover and resolve data integrity issues and contribute to cross company data initiatives
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required, Masters in a related field preferred (Economics, Math, or Statistics)
- 3-5 years of experience in an analyst role
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and scripting languages such as SQL and Python, familiarity with Snowflake or a similar data warehouse
- Understanding of applied statistical methods
- Insatiable curiosity to dig in to uncover and interpret emerging data insights; passion to explore and determine the implications of data, not just the factual answers to questions
- Ability to adapt methods and queries to account for incomplete or inconsistent data
- Ability to understand internal database architecture and industry indicators to effectively adapt queries and analysis to produce high-integrity findings
- Working knowledge of various data analysis and reporting tools (e.g., Looker, or similar business intelligence tools)
- Ability to work independently and in a group, with an outstanding ability to interpret data and tell a story
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and hardworking. We have a great respect for testing and learning and a healthy aversion to scheduling meetings to discuss meetings. Lunch is catered daily. Gym membership is free. Foosball and ping pong are played often. Now a publicly-traded company, we’re as committed as ever to cultivating the culture that got us here.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK and Germany with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI and Dublin, Ireland. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.